Minutes of the CPS Board meeting on 26 March 2013
Keir Starmer (Chair)
Aymie Baker (observer)
Item 1: Note of Last Meeting and Matters Arising
1. The note of the last meeting was agreed.
Item 2: Director's Update
2. The Director provided an update on the following:
- Child Sexual Abuse response
- Perverting the Course of Justice (PCJ) Report
- Victims Right to Review Guidance (VRR)
- DPP Area Visits
3. The Chief Executive updated the Board on the review of CPS financial controls. 4. The latest position on ministerial priorities was provided, including feedback from the first meeting of the new Criminal Justice Board (CJB).
Item 3: Police Performance
5. An update was provided on steps being taken by the Chief Operating Officer on progress relating to police performance.
6. It was noted that the quality of police files was now on the ministerial agenda.
Item 4: Police and Crime Commissioners (PCCs) - first 100 days
7. Nick Hunt presented a report of the PCCs' first 100 days, detailing early engagement and emerging impacts on the CPS.
Item 5: Strategic Review Discussions with Law Officers
8. The Board considered the subject areas of the recent strategic review discussions held with the Law Officers.
- Victims & Witnesses
- Organisational Structure
- Post Autumn Plans
- Performance Metrics
- Proceeds Of Crime
Item 6: Financial Management Update
9. The Board were updated on the latest position following the announcements made by the Chancellor in the March 2013 budget.
Item 7: Crown Advocate Funding
10. Options for the internal funding arrangements for in-house Crown Court advocacy undertaken by Crown Advocates were presented for the Board to consider.
Item 8: Governance Review
11. Derek Manuel and Alison Porter provided the latest position on the 2013 CPS Governance Review
Item 9: AOB
Strategy and Policy Directorate
Next meeting 20 May 2013