Man jailed for falsely imprisoning and raping a woman in Nuneaton
A man who falsely imprisoned and raped a woman in her 60s has been given a 17-and-a-half-year sentence.
Mark Conway, aged 54 of no fixed abode, was sentenced yesterday (Tuesday 14 July) at Warwick Crown Court, for rape, false imprisonment and assault by penetration.
Conway had previously pleaded guilty to the offences, which occurred at a property in Hartshill, Nuneaton on 5 February 2020.
He will serve 10-and-a-half year custodial term and then a further seven years on licence.
Conway tied the woman to a chair before subjecting her to a prolonged attack.
He then left the property and the victim managed to free herself and raise the alarm.
Conway became the subject of a manhunt after going on the run and was arrested at Royal Derby Hospital on 22 February after information was provided by a member of the public in response to a police appeal.
Detective Inspector Ollie Deakin from Nuneaton Serious and Complex Crime Team said: "This was a horrendous attack on a terrified woman.
"Conway used extreme violence to constrain his victim before subjecting her to the most horrifying attack.
"He is clearly a very dangerous man and we welcome this prison sentence.
"I want to thank the victim for the bravery and courage she has shown through the ordeal."
Victoria Luke of the CPS said: “This was a despicable attack on the victim. Mark Conway had no regard for the victim neither did he have any thought for the suffering and trauma that he inflicted on her, and his actions will live with her forever.
“The strong prosecution case against Conway which included forensic evidence and strong witness testimony left him with no choice but to plead guilty. He has successfully been brought to justice and held to account for his crime.”