Man given suspended sentence for possessing over 1800 prohibited images
A Coventry man found with over 1800 prohibited images including child sex images and extreme pornography has been given a suspended jail sentence.
Mark Lerigo, 49, was sentenced today (21 August) at Warwick Crown Court to two years' imprisonment, suspended for two years. He was arrested following an investigation by the National Crime Agency (NCA).
Lerigo pleaded guilty to three counts of making indecent images of children, two counts of distributing indecent images of children and one count of possessing prohibited images of children. He also pleaded guilty to one count of publishing an obscene article and one count of possessing extreme pornography.
Following his arrest, police seized a number of devices including a mobile phone, an iPad and a laptop and they discovered a total of 1,869 illegal images on the devices. 205 of the images were of the most serious category (category A). In addition, Lerigo was in possession of 59 prohibited images of children, 672 images of extreme pornography, 261 category B images and 299 category C images.
A chat message was also discovered which showed Lerigo having conversations about child sex offences. He also watched online streaming sessions showing images of child sex abuse.
Today at Warwick Crown Court, he was given a total sentence of two years, suspended for two years, with forfeiture and destruction of his devices and ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £670 court costs.
Andrew Crump of the CPS said: “Mark Lerigo actively sought out indecent images of children using specific search phrases and he engaged in criminal activities with others by possessing and distributing such images. He was arrested when he was linked to another case being investigated by the National Crime Agency.
“Those who commit these types of offences pose a serious threat to children. He has received a criminal conviction and will now be registered as a sex offender for 10 years with a 10-year sexual harm prevention order and a four months curfew between 8pm and 6am.”
Notes to editors
- Andrew Crump is a Senior Crown Prosecutor at CPS West Midlands
- The following accessible images were discovered on Mark Lerigo’s iPad: 146 category A images, 261 category B images, 299 category C images, 41 prohibited images of children, 258 extreme pornography
- The following inaccessible images were located on Mark Lerigo’s laptop: 59 category A images, 127 category B images, 236 category C images, 18 prohibited images of children, 414 extreme pornography
- Sentencing details for Mark Lerigo is as followed:
- 24 months imprisonment suspended for two years on count 2 and the following periods all suspended:
- Count 1 - 15 months concurrent
- Count 3 - 9 months concurrent
- Count 4 - six months concurrent
- Counts 5-7, four months concurrent
- Sexual Harm Prevention Order - 10 years
- Sex Offenders Register - 10 years
- 40 days' Rehabilitation Activity Requirement
- Forfeiture and destruction of devices