Skip to main content

Accessibility controls

Text size
Main content area

‘Friend’ who was trusted to walk a woman home safely convicted of her brutal murder

|News, Sexual offences , Violent crime

A man who raped and killed a 20-year-old woman after agreeing to walk her safely home following a concert has today been convicted of her murder.

Keeley Bunker, from Tamworth in Staffordshire, was discovered lying face-down in a pool in Wigginton Park, on 19 September last year, hours after she was reported missing. She had been out at a concert with Wesley Streete, 20, who had been trusted to get her home safely, at around 4am.

They were captured on CCTV walking through Tamworth together, and although Streete initially claimed they had then parted company, analysis of his telephone and CCTV showed that they had gone into Wigginton Park, where he raped and killed Ms Bunker. Afterwards, he hid her body in a brook.

He was convicted at Stafford Crown Court today following a three-week trial. He was also convicted of rape and other sexual offences against three other young women.

Mark Paul of the CPS, said: “This case has been truly distressing as it was the man who Ms Bunker trusted to get her home safely who - tragically - raped and murdered her.

“Throughout the trial, Streete changed his story many times and denied rape. However, the jury saw through his lies and convicted him of the rape and murder of Keeley Bunker.

"He has repeatedly lied to the police and Ms Bunker’s family in a bid to cover up his violent crimes, but the Crown Prosecution Service worked alongside Staffordshire Police to build a compelling case against the defendant, carefully considering thousands of pages of evidence.

“We recognise the enormity of the loss of Keeley Bunker and extend heartfelt sympathies to her family and friends.

“I would also like to thank the three young survivors and families for their support in bringing this case to trial and ensuring Streete faces justice.”

How the case was proved

Streete told the victim’s best friend that he would get Ms Bunker home safely, but he did not. Even when she was found dead, Streete lied repeatedly to the police and Ms Bunker’s family insisting she was fine when they parted ways.

The prosecution was able to prove that Streete had lied in his detailed account of that night, as CCTV, mobile phone records and DNA forensics showed that he was not telling the truth. Once he admitted that he had lied about leaving her, he still tried to deny that he had raped Ms Bunker.

CCTV evidence and mobile phone evidence showed that Streete returned to the park five times after he killed and abandoned Ms Bunker’s body, returning for the final time at around 2.25pm

Witness testimonies were an important part of the case proving Streete had a pattern of predatory sexual behaviour.

The prosecution called on evidence from Staffordshire Police which revealed that Streete had also sexually assaulted three young women who had trusted him. He was found to have sexually assaulted two teenagers, one of whom was under 16. He also sexually assaulted a 20-year-old woman five months before he sexually assaulted and killed Keeley Bunker.

Notes to editors

  • Mark Paul is the Head of Complex Casework Unit for CPS West Midlands.

Further reading

Scroll to top