Child sex offender jailed for 18 years
A sex offender, who groomed children with gifts and sexually assaulted them, has been jailed for 18 years with a two-year extended licence.
Alan Styles, 84, of Yew Tree Lane, Wednesbury, was sentenced today (13 November 2020) at Wolverhampton Crown Court for nine counts of sexual assault of a child, four counts of rape of a child under 13, two counts of sexual activity with a child, four counts of assault of a child by penetration and three counts of making indecent photographs of a child. He was also charged with one count of attempted rape and one count of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child.
Styles sexually abused the victims, who were all under 12, over four years and groomed them with gifts. His offending came to light when one of his victims confided in their mother after a sex education lesson at school. She subsequently reported the incident to police which led to other victims being discovered.
When police raided his home, they discovered 665 indecent images of children on his devices; 33 of the images were of the most serious category (category A). In addition, there were 225 images at category B and 407 at category C.
Styles initially denied the charges but later admitted all charges after he was presented with overwhelming evidence.
Julia McSorley of the CPS said: “Alan Styles is a dangerous man who committed grave offences against vulnerable children. Thanks to the bravery of the victims, we were able to build a strong case against Styles, using video evidence and witness testimony and he had no choice but to admit his guilt for these offences without the need for a trial. He will now face the consequences of his actions. The CPS would like to pay tribute to the incredible courage of these victims in finding the strength to bring their abuser to justice. We hope that, despite the undoubtedly long-lasting effects of this abuse, the victims can get some closure knowing he has been imprisoned and can no longer harm other children."
Notes to editors
- Julia McSorley is a Senior Crown Prosecutor with CPS West Midlands' Rape and Serious Sexual Offences (RASSO) team
- Alan John Styles (D.O.B. 24 March 1936) was sentenced for:
- Two counts of sexual activity with a child, contrary to section 9(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 x 2
- Four counts of rape of a child under 13, contrary to section 5(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003
- Four counts of assault of a child under 13 by penetration, contrary to section 6(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003
- Nine counts of sexual assault of a child under 13, contrary to section 7(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003
- Three counts of making indecent photographs of children, contrary to section 1(1)(a) of the Protection of Children Act 1978
- One count of attempted rape, contrary to section 1(1) of the Criminal Attempts Act 1981
- One count of engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child, contrary to section 11(1) of the Sexual Offences Act.