Skip to main content

Accessibility controls

Text size

Abusive husband jailed for stabbing wife 33 times

|News, Violent crime , Domestic abuse

A man who stabbed his wife 33 times has today (4 April) been sentenced to life imprisonment at Stafford Crown Court for her murder.

Dana Abdullah, 35, broke into Avan Najmadeen’s home on 1 October 2018. He forced his entry by smashing a pane of glass at her address. Once inside he carried out the attack, stabbing her 33 times to the neck and torso with a knife.

After this attack, he made a failed attempt to cover up his offending by trying to create an explosion or fire in the kitchen, to disguise the fact a murder had taken place. He did this before taking a pre-booked taxi to Liverpool.

The offence came to light when Ms Najmadeen did not arrive at school to collect her four children after the school day finished. Social services were called and found her body on the kitchen floor.

Jason Corden-Bowen from the CPS said “Avan Najmadeen had suffered years of abusive and threatening behaviour at the hands of her husband, Dana Abdullah which led to her moving away with her four young children and filing for divorce.

“The CPS presented a strong case to the court including forensic evidence that confirmed the fingerprints found in the kitchen belonged to Abdullah and that the traces of blood found in the taxi, belonged to Ms Najmandeen.

“This was a horrific, callous attack that not only robbed a young woman of her life but also four children of their mother. Our thoughts remain with the victim’s family.”

Abdullah has been sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 18 years.

Building the case

The CPS built a strong case to include the history of the relationship and the abuse Ms Najmadeen suffered at the hands of her husband during their marriage. Ms Najmandeen left her husband because of this abuse and both lived separately. Abdullah wanted a reconciliation but Ms Najmadeen did not.

Abdullah had been subject to immigration proceedings and had applied for asylum but was refused. He appealed this decision but this was also dismissed, partly because Ms Najmadeen refused to give evidence to assist as she was in fear of him. Consequently Abdullah was placed on a tag on release from immigration detention and this was found at his home address, having been cut off on the morning of the murder.

Fingerprint evidence was presented that proved the prints found above the hob cooker control knobs belonged to Abdullah. This proved he had been into the property and must have been responsible for turning the gas on.

Scientific analysis of the liquid found to be on Ms Najmadeen’s clothing confirmed it to be a highly flammable solvent. This evidence combined with the gas and charred paper showed how Abdullah had tried to cover up the scene before he left.

The taxi driver described how Abdullah changed sim cards during the journey and used wet wipes to clean his hands. Blood that was later found in the taxi was analysed and confirmed to be Ms Najmadeen’s. This combined with the attempt of causing a fire at Ms Najmadeen’s home shows Abdullah was trying to cover up his actions.

After being dropped in Liverpool, he took another taxi to Glasgow before handing himself into the police the following day.

Notes to editors

  • Jason Corden-Bowen is a District Crown Prosecutor with CPS West Midlands
  • Dana Abdullah (DOB 03/06/1983) was charged with and pleaded guilty to the murder of Avan Najmadeen


Further reading

Scroll to top