Advanced Search

Help for the Victims of Crime

Witness Care Units

Witness Care Units are the single point of contact for victims and witnesses from charging a suspect with a crime to the end of the case. Your named witness care officer will be responsible for keeping you informed of the progress of the case and supporting you.

Find out more about Witness Care Units

Victim Support

Victim Support volunteers are specially trained to help you and give you practical advice. The police are required to refer all cases of burglary, theft, criminal damage, arson, assault, and racial harassment to Victim Support. If you don't want this to happen, tell the police officer dealing with your case.

Phone the Victim Support line: 0845 30 30 900

Visit the Victim Support Website

National Victims' Association

National Victims' Association provides advocacy, counselling and support services to the families of homicide victims.

Phone the National Victims' Association: 0191 423 2210

Visit the National Victims' Association Website

Before the trial

Before the day of the trial it is a good idea to find out as much as you can about what will happen and what is expected of you.

Your witness care officer may do a 'needs assessment' with you to see if you need special help in court. This help may range from an interpreter, to a closed circuit TV link.

Your witness care officer may also be able to arrange a visit to the court before the trial.