Sixth person jailed following rape and kidnap of young girl
The final defendant involved in a conspiracy to kidnap a young girl from her foster home has been jailed for four years.
Aurelia Stan, 38, was the last of six defendants to be sentenced at Reading Crown Court, after a jury found them guilty of kidnapping a teenage girl on 17 February 2022. The first five defendants were sentenced to a combined total of almost 40 years’ imprisonment on 28 April 2022.
The other defendants were Alexandru Olteanu (20), Marius Bucur (19), Nutel-Virgil Papadache (41), a 39-year-old woman from London and a 59-year-old man from Slough. The latter two defendants, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were also found guilty of intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to the young girl.
In addition to his other offences, the 59-year-old man was convicted of multiple counts of raping the underage victim, with these instances taking place over a period of over four years.
In 2020, after fleeing her rapist and running across live train tracks in order to escape, the victim was found by police and taken into foster care. Feeling isolated over the following months, the girl formed a friendship with a young man she met on social media.
The man she had befriended was Bucur, and it was the Crown’s case that the victim was kidnapped by fraud rather than force. Specifically, Bucur was part of the conspiracy to kidnap her, and had gained her trust online in order to lure her away from foster care and take her instead to a home in Sheffield where she wrongly believed she would be safe.
Crown Prosecution Service lawyer Marc Thompson said: “The victim in this case has suffered years of sexual abuse from a grown man. When she thought she had found someone she could trust, he brought her back to her abuser.
“In coming forward to the police with her experiences, this young girl has shown a tremendous amount of bravery. The Crown Prosecution Service is committed to working with the police and supporting victims of these dreadful crimes, so that offenders can be brought to justice.
“The victim may have trouble trusting anyone again, especially when connecting with others online. My only hope is that the conviction and imprisonment of her captors and rapist helps her to regain a sense of safety, and that she might finally get the chance to live the life a young girl deserves.”
Notes to editors
- The following defendants were convicted of kidnap on 17 February 2022 at Reading Crown Court: Alexandru Olteanu (D.O.B. 04.12.2001), Marius Bucur (D.O.B. 08.11.2002), Nutel-Virgil Papadache (D.O.B. 08.04.1981) and Aurelia Stan (03.09.1983), as well as a 39-year-old woman and a 59-year-old man.
- The 39-year-old-woman and 59-year-old man were also found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent at the same court on the same date.
- In addition, the 59-year-old man was convicted of one count of rape of a child under 13 and five counts of rape at the same court on the same date.
- Two other defendants were also tried for kidnap at the same court on the same date, but were found not guilty by the jury.
- All defendants except Stan were given the following sentences at Reading Crown Court on 28 April 2022:
- Olteanu and Bucur were each sentenced to two years and six months’ imprisonment.
- Papadache received a sentence of four years in prison.
- The 39-year-old woman was sentenced to six-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.
- The 59-year-old man was jailed for a total of 24 years.
- Aurelia Stan was sentenced at Reading Crown Court on 25 May 2022. She received four years in prison.
- Marc Thompson is a Senior Crown Prosecutor and Rape and Serious Sexual Offences specialist for CPS Thames and Chiltern.
- The Crown Prosecution Service is committed to closing the gap between the number of cases being reported and those going to court, to make sure more victims get justice.
- Earlier this year, we highlighted CPS progress in transforming the way rape prosecutions are handled as we published an update to our five year rape strategy – RASSO 2025.