Sexual offence convictions against two former Christ’s Hospital School teachers
Two former teachers at Christ’s Hospital School in Sussex have been convicted of non-recent sexual offences against past pupils at the school.
James Husband, 68 and Gary Dobbie, 66, were found guilty following a trial at Hove Crown Court, which heard the sexual offences carried out by the two men took place between 1988 and 2001.
Husband was convicted of one charge of rape and five counts of indecent assault, all against one girl. Dobbie was convicted of a total of 15 sexual offences against a number of boys and girls who had attended the school.
Jayne Cioffi from the CPS said: "The victims in this case were particularly vulnerable, as they were in a boarding school, an environment from which they could not escape and where they were expected to do as they were told by their teachers.
"The defendants were both in positions of authority at the school and abused the trust placed in them.
"The evidence put forward by the CPS showed how they carefully groomed their victims, so they could carry out sustained sexual abuse of vulnerable pupils."
Notes to editors
- Jayne Cioffi is a Senior Crown Prosecutor with CPS South East.
James Husband was convicted of one charge of rape and five charges of indecent assault, all against one girl.
- Gary Dobbie was convicted of nine charges of indecent assault on a male person, three charges of indecent assault, two charges of indecency with a child and one charge of attempting to indecently assault a male person.
- Three other former Christ’s Hospital School teachers have previously been convicted of non-recent sexual offences against former pupils at the school:
- Ajaz Karim (63) was found guilty of nine charges of indecent assault and one of attempting to indecently assault a female following a trial in April and will be sentenced on 9 August at Lewes Crown Court.
- Peter Webb (75) pleaded guilty to a total of 11 charges of indecent assault on a male person and was sentenced to a total of five and a half years imprisonment.
- Peter Burr (73) pleaded guilty to a total of nine charges of indecent assault and was sentenced to six years and seven months imprisonment.