Rapist with 'gangland links' jailed for 18 years
A man who claimed to have gangland links and used these to threaten his victims has been sentenced to 18 years' imprisonment, after being convicted of a series of rapes and indecent assaults.
Peter Gillett was convicted of a number of charges relating to three different victims, including rape, indecent assault, ABH and child cruelty, following a trial at Lewes Crown Court.
During the trial, the jury heard that Gillett was a former cell mate of notorious East End gangster Reggie Kray and would use his perceived connections to instil fear in his victims.
The court was also told that one of the victims was just 13 years old when she was subjected to repeated rapes and sexual abuse.
Jim Fedrick from the CPS said: “For many years, Peter Gillett played on the fact that he had been in prison with Reggie Kray, making it clear to everyone that he was closely connected with him.
“This put him in a position of power with his victims. When he made threats to one teenage victim that he would kill those closest to her if she ever told anyone, she naturally believed those threats would be carried out because of his boasts about his gangland associations.
“Despite this, she eventually found the strength to come forward and detail the systematic sexual abuse she had been subjected to as a child, providing vital evidence for the prosecution.
“Her account of the abuse Gillett put her through was a harrowing one, but now she and his other victims have, thankfully, seen him brought to justice for these appalling crimes.”
Notes to editors
- Jim Fedrick is a lawyer in the CPS South East Rape and Serious Sexual Offences team
- Peter Gillett was convicted of:
- three counts of rape against a victim aged between 12 and 14 years old at the time (August 1988-October 1990)
- four charges of indecent assault against two girls between August 1988 and October 1990
- one charge of causing actual bodily harm between August 1989 and October 1990
- one charge of indecency with a child between December 1988 and March 1990
- one count of child cruelty between March 1988 and March 1996, and
- one count of possessing a firearm.