Former Christ’s Hospital School teacher jailed for indecent assaults
A former teacher at Christ’s Hospital School in Sussex has been sentenced to a total of 10 years’ imprisonment, after being convicted of a series of non-recent indecent assaults on female pupils at the school.
Ajaz Karim, 63, was found guilty by a jury at Lewes Crown Court in April of nine charges of indecent assault and one charge of attempting to indecently assault a woman. The incidents all took place between 1985 and 1996.
Gareth Morgan, from the CPS, said: “The CPS was able to build a strong case against Karim, using the evidence from his victims and the case put together by the police. Combined, they clearly demonstrated that he had been using his role as a sports teacher for a number of years as a way of indecently assaulting girls at the school.
“Karim had sought to explain his actions away by saying he was providing massages to his victims and this was legitimate contact through providing assistance with breathing techniques.
“However, the police found he had a history of visiting websites on his phone, which showed an interest in massage for sexual purposes, information we were able to present to the jury as part of our case. In convicting him, they rejected Karim’s innocent explanation of his actions.
“Karim was in a position of authority at the school and would have been trusted by the very pupils he then went on to abuse.”
Notes to editors
- Gareth Morgan is a District Crown Prosecutor for CPS South East in the Rape and Serious Sexual Offences Unit.
- The Unit is staffed by specially trained lawyers and paralegal officers and they handle rape cases, including attempted rape, along with child sexual abuse cases, including historic cases and all other serious sexual offences.
- Four other former Christ’s Hospital School teachers have previously been convicted of non-recent sexual offences against former pupils at the school:
- Ajaz Karim, (15/09/1954), was found guilty of nine charges of indecent assault and one charge of attempting to indecently assault a woman
- James Husband, 68 (26/02/1950), was jailed for 17 years, after being convicted of one charge of rape and five charges of indecent assault, all against one girl.
- Gary Dobbie, 67 (13/06/1951), was convicted of nine charges of indecent assault on a male person, three charges of indecent assault, two charges of indecency with a child and one charge of attempting to indecently assault a male person. He is currently awaiting sentence.
- Peter Webb, 75 (06/12/1942), pleaded guilty to a total of 11 charges of indecent assault on a male person and was sentenced to a total of five and a half years imprisonment.
- Peter Burr, 73 (21/10/1944), pleaded guilty to a total of nine charges of indecent assault and was sentenced to six years and seven months imprisonment.