Newton Heath man jailed after gun and hand grenade found in van
A 54-year-old man has been jailed for eight years for being in possession of a gun, hand grenade, ammunition and Class B drugs earlier this year.
Joseph Grey was stopped by Greater Manchester Police driving a Volkswagen Caddy van on Oldham Road, Newton Heath on Wednesday 30 January 2019. When officers asked him if he had anything in his possession that he should not have, he told them he had a gun and hand grenade on him.
They found the grenade in his jacket pocket along with a small black revolver and 170 rounds of ammunition. Following a search of his home on Hopgarth Walk in Newton Heath, police also found 9kg of cannabis with a street value of approximately £90,000 and 3.5kg of amphetamine with a street value of approximately £100,000.
Joseph Grey pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to all charges.
Karen Tonge for the CPS said: "Following a stop and search of Joseph Grey's van, officers from Greater Manchester Police found him to be carrying highly dangerous weapons along with a significant amount of ammunition.
"He accepted that he was holding them with the intention of enabling others to endanger life. He had also agreed to store a substantial amount of Class B drugs in his home on behalf of others.
"The impact of firearms and drugs can be devastating for individuals and communities and we shall continue to work closely with the police and prosecute such cases robustly."
Notes to editors
- Karen Tonge is a Specialist Prosecutor for the North West Complex Casework Unit
- Charges relating to a second man were discontinued by the CPS at an earlier hearing following a further review of the evidence
- Joseph Grey pleaded guilty to:
- Possessing a firearm with intent to enable another to endanger life, in relation to a Turkish Ekol, Arda 4mm rimfire ('Flobert') revolver
- Possessing ammunition, in relation to 170 4mm rimfire ('Flobert') bulleted/ball cartridges
- Possessing a prohibited weapon in relation to a grenade
- Possessing Class B drugs with intent to supply, in relation to cannabis bush
- Possessing Class B drugs with intent to supply, in relation to amphetamine