Man who stabbed his partner 123 times jailed for life

|News, Violent crime , Domestic abuse

A man who murdered his partner by stabbing her around 123 times has been jailed for life.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said Carl Harrison killed mother-of-five Rachel Evans,  46, at his home at 28 Hignett Avenue in St Helens on 10 March 2019.

At a Pre-Trial and Preparation Hearing on 26 April 2019 he pleaded guilty, in the face of overwhelming evidence, to murder, making a threat to kill and assault by beating.

At Liverpool Crown Court on 14 June 2019, he was sentenced to life imprisonment and must serve a minimum of 18 years before he can be considered for release.

The CPS said that Harrison, 47, killed Ms Evans after he had been drinking and had taken tablets.

Harrison and Ms Evans had been together for about a year before she was murdered and they both had mental health problems.

On 25 February 2019, she told him she was leaving him as he had become aggressive, abusive and controlling.

But he threatened to kill her and assaulted her. She called the police and Harrison could be heard in the background, screaming abuse at her.

He was arrested and questioned and released on bail with the condition that he did not contact Ms Evans.

A police officer and Ms Evans’ support worker later spoke to her about the assault and asked her how she wanted to proceed. But she decided that she was unable to continue with the prosecution.

Harrison eventually persuaded her to come back and live with him and she moved in on the morning of 10 March. A few hours later she was dead.

Carolyn Viviani, for the CPS, said: “Harrison subjected his partner Rachel Evans to a sustained and brutal assault in the bedroom of his home.

“He said in interview later that that he had taken lots of tablets and drunk a lot of vodka and didn’t realise what had happened straight away.

“He rang his sister and said he thought he had killed Ms Evans. She called the police and when they arrived, Harrison finally answered the door.

“The officers spotted what seemed to be dried blood on him. As they went in, they noticed blood on the stairs and they discovered Ms Evans naked and blood-stained body under a duvet on a bed.

“It may be that some of the blows were inflicted after she’d died. It was a truly horrific attack and, thankfully, Harrison pleaded guilty at an early stage.

“But that is likely to be of little comfort to Ms Evans’ children who have been devastated by this tragedy. Mr Harrison has now been jailed for life and we hope that, at least, helps them to find some sort of closure.”

Notes to editors

  • Carolyn Viviani is a Senior Crown Prosecutor with Mersey-Cheshire Crown Prosecution Service

Further reading