Man jailed for 24 years for shooting

|News, Violent crime

A man has been jailed for 24 years with an extended licence period of five years after he shot someone with a double barrelled sawn-off shotgun in the middle of the day on a busy street in Southport in the run-up to Christmas.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that Jamie Bridge, 22, from Wyresdale Road in Aintree, shot Christopher Jopson, 26, at around 12.30 pm on 21 December 2017 on Eastbank Street.

Mr Bridge, who was also known as “Wolfy", was out on licence from prison at the time for drugs offences and possessing an offensive weapon.

After the shooting, he ran off and escaped on a mountain bike along Princes Street.

Christopher Jopson suffered head injuries when 30 pieces of shot lodged in his scalp, three of which were embedded in his skull.

A piece of the shot fired at Mr Jopson injured Lee Armstrong, an innocent bystander who had been waiting at a bus stop close by. Luckily he escaped with relatively minor injuries.

Mr Bridge was first arrested on 4 January 2018 but was released pending further investigations.

He was then re-arrested on the 12 January 2018 after being identified by a police officer from CCTV footage showing him at a garage forecourt and a shop, an hour before the shooting, wearing identical clothing and with the same mountain bike.

The Crown Prosecution Service prosecuted Jamie Bridge for the attempted murder of Christopher Jopson, wounding him with intent to do grievous bodily harm, wounding Lee Armstrong and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and cause fear of violence.

He pleaded guilty to all of the other offences but denied attempted murder. He was found guilty after a trial.

John Dilworth, of the CPS said: “Jamie Bridge opened fire on a man in the middle of the day on a town centre street on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas with no thought for the impact of his actions on his victims or the many innocent bystanders.

“The court heard that there had been an escalating feud between the two men but how Mr Bridge thought he could ever get away with such a blatant act of criminality in front of so many witnesses is beyond me.

“Mr Bridge denied that he intended to kill Mr Jopson but the Crown Prosecution Service proceeded to a trial on this and the jury have agreed with us and found him guilty. He’s now been given a very substantial jail term.

“Thankfully Mr Jopson survived and Mr Armstrong’s were relatively minor, although they could have been a lot more serious. The impact on them and the other people who saw this cannot be underestimated.

"Such violence on our streets will not be tolerated and the Crown Prosecution Service, working with the Police, will ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice.”

Notes to editors

  • John Dilworth is the Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor of Mersey Cheshire Crown Prosecution Service

Further reading