Rugby player convicted of raping two women in west London
A rugby player has been convicted of violently raping two women.
Paulo Kretteis, 22, was convicted of two counts of rape and making a threat to kill following a trial at Isleworth Crown Court which concluded today (Thursday, 28 January 2021). He had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm in relation to the two separate incidents.
The former Princeton University student had been out with his rugby teammates when he spotted the victim, who had been drinking, outside The Chatsworth Bar in Acton in the early hours of Sunday, 13 October 2019. He befriended her, and after walking her back to her home in Hammersmith, he asked if she would accompany him to a nearby bus stop.
As they approached a secluded footbridge Kretteis grabbed hold of his victim’s throat and began squeezing it and threatening to kill her. He then started pulling at her trousers and hitting her face. At one point the victim asked if she still had all of her teeth. Kretteis told her to smile so he could check. He then struck her to the face again, before orally raping her.
The 25-year-old victim managed to seize the opportunity to escape after noticing someone walking close by. She ran into the middle of a nearby road and a taxi driver with passengers stopped and called the police. The distressed victim had suffered visible injuries to her face and was bleeding.
Some months later police were called to a residential address in the early hours of Sunday, 15 December after a second woman reported being raped and attacked. The victim, 20, was left with bruising on her face and throat as well as bite marks. Clumps of her hair were also found at the address.
In February 2020 results from a forensic investigation managed to identify Kretteis from the DNA found on the jacket that the first victim had left behind in the struggle, which was found dumped in a nearby council bin.
Kate Shilton, from the CPS, said: “Paulo Kretteis charmed his victims and lulled them into a false sense of security, before carrying out violent sexual attacks.
“The prosecution case included DNA evidence, strong witness testimony and CCTV footage which clearly showed Kretteis at the scene.
“During police interviews Kretteis claimed the person pictured in the footage was not him, adding that he had never styled his hair in a man bun. But his Instagram posts showed otherwise. The Princeton University top worn by Kretteis on the night of the attack was also found at his home address.
“Sexual offences are some of the most serious, complex and traumatic cases. I want to thank the brave victims in this case who have supported the prosecution, one of whom even gave evidence from overseas by live-link due to current travel restrictions. I hope this conviction goes some way to providing them with a sense of closure and encourages other victims of sexual crimes to come forward and see their attackers face justice.”
Kretteis will be sentenced at Isleworth Crown Court at a later date.
Notes to editors
- Paulo Kretteis (DOB: 8/12/1998) is a dual Brazilian national living in Northolt in the London borough of Ealing.
- Kate Shilton is a Senior Crown Prosecutor within the Serious Sexual Offences unit in CPS London South.