Skip to main content

Accessibility controls

Text size
Main content area

Two killers who fist-bumped to celebrate fatally stabbing a teenager jailed

|News, Violent crime , Youth crime

Two killers who fist-bumped to celebrate fatally stabbing a teenager who was on his way to the shops to buy some milk have been jailed.

William Haines, 18, and a 17-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons, launched an unprovoked and seemingly motiveless attack on 18-year-old Yusuf Mohamed on the evening of 26 June 2019 in Shepherd’s Bush.

During a trial which concluded in January, Haines was found guilty of murder and having an article with a blade or a point. The 17-year-old was found guilty of manslaughter and admitted having an article with a blade or a point.

Today (Thursday, 5 March) at the Old Bailey Haines was jailed for life with a minimum term of 17 years and the 17-year-old was jailed for 10 years. The judge also ordered the destruction of the knives used in the attack.

Haines and the 17-year-old spotted Yusuf, who was with three friends, across the road as they were walking along Uxbridge Road in the opposite direction. The pair ran across the road before Haines drew a knife from his waistband and stabbed Yusuf in the chest, piercing his heart. The 17-year-old then stabbed Yusuf in the thigh as he tried to escape inside the Intercontinental Foods shop.

Yusuf’s three friends ran from the attackers, but when one realised Yusuf was no longer with him, he returned. He found Yusuf at the back of the shop, bleeding heavily and struggling to breathe. He applied pressure to Yusuf’s wounds until the ambulance arrived. Yusuf was pronounced dead around 45 minutes after he was stabbed.

The defendants ran away and threw their knives into nearby bushes. The knife used by the 17-year-old was later found by police in his abandoned rucksack. The knife used by Haines was spotted four days later by a dog walker whose dog found the knife inside a sheath.

Haines and the 17-year-old were identified by CCTV evidence and DNA that linked them to the murder weapons. Once arrested, Haines claimed he did not know his co-defendant. But phone evidence showed frequent contact between the two.

Sarah Dale, from the CPS, said: “This devastating, cowardly and unprovoked attack has led to the death of an innocent 18-year-old who had so much to look forward to in life.

“On what should have been a routine walk to the nearby shop for some milk, Yusuf was set upon for no apparent reason.

“Armed with knives and in the violent way that these defendants attacked him, there could be no doubt as to their deadly intentions. After they fatally stabbed Yusuf, they fist-bumped in callous celebration.

“Nothing can take away the pain that Yusuf’s family and friends must be feeling, but we hope these convictions provide them with some level of comfort at this distressing time.”

Notes to editors

  • William Haines (DOB:12.12.2001) is from Acton in the London borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
  • The 17-year-old is from Brentford in the London borough of Hounslow
  • Sarah Dale is a Senior Crown Prosecutor within the Homicide unit in CPS London North.

Further reading

Scroll to top