Family convicted over death of teenager Jay Sewell in south-east London
A jealous ex-boyfriend and seven other members of his family and friends have been convicted for their parts in the killing of teenager Jay Sewell in south-east London.
Daniel Grogan, 21, was convicted of murder, violent disorder and wounding with intent following a trial at the Old Bailey, which concluded today [Friday, 27 September].
Sister, Francesca, 30, as well as her boyfriend Jamie Bennett, 31, were convicted of violent disorder.
Parents Anne, 54, and Royal Mail worker Robert Grogan, 57, were convicted of manslaughter and violent disorder. Mr Grogan was also found guilty of wounding with intent.
Cousin Liam Hickey, 19, was convicted of wounding with intent and violent disorder and friend Charlie Dudley, 26, was convicted of manslaughter, wounding with intent and violent disorder. Another teenage defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted of violent disorder.
The violence broke out on 11 December last year following the end of the relationship between Daniel Grogan and his ex-girlfriend Gemma Hodder. The pair had broken up some months before, and Gemma had begun a new relationship with 18-year-old Jay Sewell.
Daniel had made numerous threats to kill Jay and made no secret of his jealousy just days before the killing.
On the night of Jay’s death, he and Gemma, along with some friends, had driven up from Kent to Grove Park to confront Daniel. They were met with a group who launched an attack on them, resulting in Jay being fatally stabbed and his friend Charlie Pamphlett also receiving stab injuries. Jay later died in hospital.
Aisling Hosein, from the CPS, said: “Several members of the Grogan family and some of their friends were lying in wait for the deceased and his friends. They were armed with various weapons such as knives, hammers and a large axe, and were all ready for serious violence.
“The level of aggression and violence used on a London residential street was terrifying, and witnesses described the scene as such.
“The evidence in this case was strong and we relied upon witness accounts, phone and social media evidence, CCTV and DNA evidence.
“We thank the witnesses who supported this prosecution. This has been a long and difficult trial for all those involved. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Jay Sewell and we hope that these convictions provide some measure of comfort to them.”
Sentencing is due to take place on Monday, 30 September at the Old Bailey.
Notes to editors
- Aisling Hosein is a senior crown prosecutor within the pan-London homicide team
- Daniel Grogan [DOB: 19 September 1998] is from Grove Park in the London borough of Lewisham
- Liam Hickey [DOB: 19 January 2000] is from Eltham in the London borough of Greenwich
- Robert Grogan [DOB: 31 December 1964] is from Grove Park in the London borough of Lewisham
- Charlie Dudley [DOB: 7 September 1993] is from Grove Park in the London borough of Lewisham
- Ann Grogan [DOB: 20 December 1964] is from Grove Park in the London borough of Lewisham
- The unnamed defendant [DOB: 19 March 2002] is from Eltham in the London borough of Greenwich
- Jamie Bennett [DOB: 15 October 1987] is from Grove Park in the London borough of Lewisham
- Francesca Grogan [DOB: 13 March 1989] is from Grove Park in the London borough of Lewisham.