Swansea man sentenced for child rape
UPDATED WITH SENTENCE
A 47-year-old man has been sentenced to 21 years' imprisonment at Swansea Crown Court for raping and abusing a child for nearly a decade.
Andre Simpson had denied the offences which took place over an eight-year period between October 1997 and December 2005 but was convicted by the jury following a two-week trial.
A mobile phone which was seized as part of the investigation was found to contain 53 prohibited images of children along with one video file. Simpson denied any knowledge of the material, a claim which the jury rejected.
Karen Mullin OBE of the CPS said: “Rape is a truly devastating crime. Andre Simpson repeatedly abused a child to satisfy his sexual desires.
“The courage shown by the victim to come forward allowed the CPS to present a strong case to the jury resulting in these convictions.
“We hope that knowing Simpson will face justice for his crimes will help with the healing process.”
Andre Simpson will be sentenced later this month.
Notes to editors
- Karen Mullin OBE is a Senior Crown Prosecutor in the CPS Cymru-Wales RASSO (Rape and Serious Sexual Offences) Unit.
- Andre Simpson (DOB: 24/10/73) was convicted of:
- Rape (Section 1(1) Sexual Offences Act 1956) x 1
- Indecent Assault (Section 14(1) Sexual Offences Act 1956) x 5
- Indecency with a Child (Section 1(1) Indecency with Children Act 1960) x 1
- Rape of a Child under 13 (Section 5(1) Sexual Offences Act 2003) x 2
- Sexual Assault (Section 3(1) Sexual Offences Act 2003) x 4
- Sexual Assault of a Child under 13 (Section 7(1) Sexual Offences Act 2003) x 1
- Rape (contrary to Section 1(1) Sexual Offences Act 2003) x 1
- Making indecent photographs of a Child (Section 1(1)(a) Protection of Children Act 1978) x 1
- Possession of prohibited images (Section 62 Coroners Act 2009) x 2