Organised crime group sentenced for conspiracy to supply drugs
A crime group who conspired to supply huge amounts of class A and B drugs have been jailed at Cardiff Crown Court.
The seven individuals brought and distributed cocaine, heroin, amphetamine and cannabis into south Wales over a thirteen-month period, estimated by the police to be worth millions of pounds. Evidence of the scale of the operation was recovered from encrypted phones used by some of the key figures in the group.
One of the seven, Jay Abdul, 39, was a key organiser of the criminal activity, and was also in possession of two firearms and ammunition.
Nicola Rees of the CPS said: “The strength of evidence presented by the CPS resulted in guilty pleas from the group.
“Their activity was on a commercial scale, with wholesale quantities of drugs destined for the streets of south Wales.
“The group’s attempt to evade the law by using encrypted phones was ultimately unsuccessful.”
All sentences were imposed at the hearing on 20 June 2022.
- Jay Abdul was sentenced to 19 years and 6 months’ imprisonment
- Ryan Hales was sentenced to 11 years and 3 months’ imprisonment
- Marc Harris was sentenced to 7 years and 4 months’ imprisonment
- Max Smith was sentenced to 5 years and 3 months’ imprisonment
- Neesha Ali was sentenced to 4 years and 6 months’ imprisonment
- Aysha Ali was sentenced to 3 years and 9 months’ imprisonment
- Naisha Hembury was sentenced to 22 months’ imprisonment, which was suspended for 18 months, and ordered to complete 180 hours of unpaid work and 15 days of a rehabilitation requirement.
Notes to editors
- Nicola Rees is a Senior Crown Prosecutor in the CPS Cymru-Wales Complex Casework Unit
- Jay Abdul (DOB: 08/03/1983) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class A drug; conspiracy to supply a class B drug; 2 x possession of a prohibited weapon (Firearm); 2 x possession of ammunition without a firearm certificate
- Marc Harris (DOB: 28/11/1990) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class A drug
- Max Smith (DOB: 16/03/1997) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class A drug
- Ryan Hales (DOB: 20/02/1994) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class A drug and conspiracy to supply class B drug
- Aysha Ali (DOB: 05/04/1986) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class B drug
- Neesha Ali (DOB: 15/04/1982) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class B drug
- Naisha Hembury (DOB: 10/05/1987) pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a class B drug