Logan Mwangi's killers sentenced
Three people have been sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court for the murder of a five-year-old boy in the Bridgend area.
John Cole, 40, Angharad Williamson, 30, and a 14-year-old boy, Craig Mulligan, were convicted of murder after a jury heard all the evidence, which included CCTV showing John Cole carrying Logan’s body to a river near the home.
The CCTV showed Cole was accompanied by Mulligan and Williamson was in Logan’s bedroom at the property.
All denied any involvement in Logan’s death, but Cole accepted he disposed of the body after Logan died in the house.
Logan’s mother, Angharad Williamson, called the police saying he was missing, and that Cole and Mulligan were out looking for him.
A medical examination of Logan’s injuries likened them to injuries seen in a fall from a great height or a high velocity road traffic collision.
Mani Ranauta of the CPS said: “This was a callous and cold-hearted killing. Logan was described as a happy, chatty, five-year-old child; a child who stood little chance of protecting himself from the very people who should have been giving him care.
“It was important for the CPS to present the strongest possible case to obtain justice for Logan, and we are pleased this has now been achieved.
“This shocking case will undoubtedly stay with my colleagues and me, and our thoughts remain with Logan.”
John Cole was sentenced to life imprisonment and ordered to serve a minimum of 29 years. Angharad Williamson was also sentenced to life imprisonment and was ordered to serve a minimum of 28 years, while Craig Mulligan was sentenced to 15 years and will be on licence for life.
Notes to editors
- Mani Ranauta is a Senior Crown Prosecutor in CPS Cymru-Wales
- John Cole (DOB: 4/2/1982) pleaded guilty to doing an act intended to pervert the course of justice and was convicted of murder
- Angharad Williamson (DOB: 16/3/1991) and Craig Mulligan were both convicted of murder and doing an act(s) intending to pervert the course of justice
- Craig Mulligan can now be named after reporting restrictions were lifted
- Logan Mwangi died on 31 July 2021, aged five years old.