Kingpin of North Wales drugs gangs sentenced
The boss of a multi-million pound Class A drug-smuggling operation, has been sentenced to ten years’ imprisonment.
Aled Gray, 35, was imprisoned today at Mold Crown Court, the last of 27 people to be sentenced.
North Wales police targeted two organised crime groups from Holyhead and Llandudno as part of Operation Zeus, sourcing drugs from Merseyside and Manchester.
During the investigation police seized an estimated £2.7m of Class A drugs and a large amount of Benzocaine, commonly used to bulk out drugs in order to maximise the profit.
Gemma Vincent, of the CPS, said: “The amount of drugs distributed by the two organised crime groups in North Wales was staggering. Aled Gray was instrumental in these criminal activities.
“The investigation revealed that two entirely separate crime groups came together to form a profitable consortium. In doing so they were able to supply class A drugs along the North Wales corridor across three counties. This was a well-established and sophisticated criminal enterprise.
"The CPS provided advice to the police from the early stages of the investigation, and together we presented a strong evidential case which resulted in the convictions.
"We will continue to work with North Wales Police and other investigative authorities to disrupt the illegal drugs trade and bring those responsible before the Courts."
Operation Zeus resulted in a total of 182 years and 11 months' imprisonment being imposed upon those convicted.
Notes to editors
- Gemma Vincent is a Senior Crown Prosecutor in the CPS Cymru-Wales Complex Casework Unit.
- Aled Gray (DOB: 21/11/83)
Already sentenced between 11 and 13 December 2018 were:
- Cain Jones (DOB: 06/10/95)
- Richard Blake Williams (DOB: 19/07/93)
- Matthew Jones (DOB: 02/01/89)
- Lee Eastham Jones (DOB: 06/06/90)
- Liam Roberts (DOB: 03/02/88)
- William Carlisle (DOB: 12/06/91)
- Jordan Peeks (DOB: 30/06/81)
- Jay Peeks (DOB: 07/10/85)
- Lee Bamber (DOC: 03/08/73)
- Eric Rowlands (DOB: 15/04/70)
- Thomas Middleton (DOB: 21/11/95)
- Andrew Aldred (DOB: 04/02/88)
- David Cuffin (DOB: 09/04/76)
- James Hendry (DOB: 31/12/75)
- Gareth Hastie (DOB: 27/05/81)
- Nathan Jeavons (DOB: 22/09/93)
- Christopher Bennett (DOB: 28/01/83)
- Hayley Evans (DOB: 02/11/89)
- Shaun Kearns (DOB: 14/01/72)
- Darren Myles (DOB: 01/07/76)
- Simon Farrar (DOB: 21/07/79)
- Zach Leuty (DOB: 22/02/89)
- Ben Haywood (DOB: 29/11/94)
- Kelly Mercer (DOB: 23/08/89)
- Bary Haigh (DOB: 02/10/82)
- Philip Scarisbrick (DOB: 23/02/81)