Two women jailed for house fire death


Two women who set fire to a house on bonfire night last year which resulted in the death of one of the occupants have today been jailed at Birmingham Crown Court.

Nussrat Khatoon, aged 39, was sentenced to life imprisonment, to serve a minimum of seven years and Tina Andrews, 30, was jailed to 10 years.

They had targeted the house in Edgbaston, Birmingham in November last year as one of the occupants was Khatoon's ex-husband who had formed a new relationship with the daughter of the owner's house.

Unhappy with this relationship, the defendant's set fire to a fibre glass planter which was situated outside of the front door. The fire spread to the front door and subsequently up the stairs onto the first floor where the occupants were sleeping. Three of the occupants managed to escape via the first floor window but the fourth, Nusrat Begum, was overcome by smoke and fire officers found her body in a rear upstairs bedroom.

Khatoon had pleaded guilty to manslaughter and arson being reckless as to whether life is endangered and was jailed for life years.

Following a four day trial at Birmingham Crown Court, Andrews was found guilty of manslaughter and arson being reckless as to whether life is endangered and she was jailed for 10 years

Wendy Steven, Senior Crown Prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"This is a tragic case of an innocent woman losing her life because Nussrat Khatoon was resentful over the relationship her ex-husband had formed with another woman. Driven by her jealously, she hatched a plan with her friend, Tina Andrews, to set fire to property outside the house.

"The defendants would have been fully aware that, apart from the ex-husband, there were other occupants living in the house and by carrying out their reckless actions, they were putting lives in danger. Undeterred by this, they drove to the house in Speedwell Road where they set fire to a plastic ornament at the front of the house from which the rest of the house caught fire.

"Three of the occupants did manage to escape the fire through a first floor window, sustaining significant injuries, however, Nusrat Begum was overcome by the smoke and her body was found in an upstairs bedroom.

"Today, these two women have been sentenced for their actions and they will now have to deal with the consequences of their crimes."