Two convicted of life insurance fraud


A mother has today been sentenced to a total two years six months' imprisonment at Birmingham Crown Court after admitting to her part in conspiring to commit fraud by false representation.

Arafa Nassib, held two life insurance policies with Scottish Widows insurance company, which would have paid out a total of £136,530,52 on her death.

On 6 April 2016, 48-year-old Arafa Nassib travelled from Birmingham airport to Zanzibar. A month later her son, 18-year-old Adil Kasim, contacted the insurers to inform them that his mother had died in Zanzibar and as beneficiary of the insurance policies he was therefore entitled to payment.

When an investigation was launched into the death and the claim, Adil Kasim produced documents in support, including a death certificate confirming that Arafa Nassib had died at the Mnazi Mmoja Hospital in Zanzibar on 14 April 2016. However, enquiries with this hospital resulted in confirmation that there was no record of Arafa Nassib being admitted or the death certificate being issued.

It was also ascertained that having flown out to Zanzibar, Nassib returned to Birmingham on 6 May 2016 and evidence was obtained showing telephone contact between her and her son. She then left the UK and took up residence in Canada.

After the arrest of Kasim on 22 December 2016, Nassib returned to the UK  where she was arrested and interviewed.

Both defendants pleaded guilty to committing fraud by false representation when they appeared before Birmingham Crown Court on 31 May 2017.

Arafa Nassib was given a two and a half year prison sentence and her son Adil Kasim, was handed a 12 month community order and 36 hours at a senior attendance centre.

Lesley Milner, Senior Crown Prosecutor with West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service said:

"The Crown Prosecution Service is working with law enforcement and investigatory agencies to robustly prosecute those who commit these offences.  Such frauds have an impact on all of us and are not victimless crimes as some might suggest.

"This was a well-planned attempt by a mother and son to defraud an insurance company out of a large sum of money.  They went to great lengths to succeed with the fraud, obtaining documents on headed notepaper and a forged death certificate.  However, investigations revealed that Arafa Nassib had never been admitted to the hospital and was, in fact, alive and living in Canada.

"The extensive investigations by the insurance company and police resulted in a strong case evidentially and guilty pleas from both defendants."