Teenagers jailed for life for the murder of Lukasz Furmanek


The teenage killers of Lukasz Furmanek, who was stabbed to death in Handsworth, Birmingham, have today been sentenced to life imprisonment after they were found guilty of his murder and guilty of the attempted murder of another man at an earlier hearing.

A jury at Birmingham Crown Court heard how in the early hours of 31 May 2015 the victims, Mr Furmanek and his friend, Radoslaw Dudek, were heading home following a night out.

As they made their way along Grove Lane in Handsworth, walking towards them was 18-year-old Abdullah Atiqzoy and 15-year-old Sadam Khan Essakhil. Both defendants were armed with a knife.

The group of men met at the junction of Grove Lane and Holly Road and following a brief altercation the Polish victims were attacked and stabbed by the defendants who then fled the scene of the attack.

Mr Furmanek succumbed to his injuries at the scene, but the second victim was taken to hospital for emergency treatment having suffered multiple stab wounds. 

On 6 June 2015, officers from Kent Police intercepted a lorry travelling to Calais, France. Hiding in the back of the lorry was a group of men, one of the illegal stowaways was Atiqzoy who was arrested and escorted back to the West Midlands.

Three days later on 9 June 2015,  Essakhil handed himself into a police station in Ostend, Belgium. He was also later escorted back to the UK.

Both defendants where later charged with murder and attempted murder. Abdullah Atiqzoy was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a tariff of 26 years and Sadam Khan Essakhil to be detained at her majesty's pleasure, with a tariff of 19 years imprisonment.

Fellow defendant Feizullah Atiqzoy, 24, was found guilty of assisting an offender and sentenced to four years imprisonment

Madhu Rai, Crown Advocate from the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"This was a vicious and senseless attack which resulted in one man losing his life and another receiving life threatening injuries.

"The two victims had been heading home when they had the misfortune of coming across Abdullah Atiqzoy and Sadam Khan Essakhil who were both armed with knives and within 31 seconds of the group of men meeting each other, Lukas Furmanek had died and Radoslaw Dudek was fighting for his life.

"The defendants then tried to evade justice by trying to flee the country, however, they were both arrested, charged and today they have been found guilty of this heinous crime.

"Our thoughts are today with the family and friends of Mr Furmanek."