Teenager jailed for the manslaughter of Redditch man


A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has today been sentenced to four years after he was found guilty at Worcester Crown Court of the manslaughter of a 50-year-old man who was attacked after he had left a local public house and was heading home.

Adam Haylor, 18, was also sentenced to 30 months after he was found guilty of assaulting the victim

In the early hours of Sunday 24 February 2013, the victim, Nigel Shakespeare, was heading home with his partner after they had spent the night socialising at the Kings Head public house in Redditch.

Their route took them along Studley Road as far as the junction of Sillins Avenue, where they passed a group of people, which included the two defendants.

As Mr Shakespeare and his partner walked past this group, one of the people from the group shouted 'wanker' which was directed to the couple.

The victim confronted the group and an altercation took place. Mr Shakespeare was attacked by the defendants who punched the victim which resulted in the victim falling to the ground and as a consequence he hit his head on the pavement. While he lay on the ground unconscious, he was kicked and stamped on by one of the defendants.

The emergency services were called and the victim was initially taken to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch. Due to the seriousness of his injuries, he was later transferred to the University Coventry Hospital. Mr Shakespeare would later die that afternoon from his injuries.

Martin Lindop, Sector Crown Prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"A tragic sequence of events led to the death of an innocent man who was out on a Saturday night enjoying the evening with his partner.

"After leaving their local pub, they headed home and it was their misfortune that their route crossed the path of a group of people, which included the defendants, who were fuelled up on alcohol.

"It took one misplaced word which ultimately led to the death of Mr Shakespeare.

"He confronted the group and it was at this point that he was attacked which rendered the victim unconscious. As he fell to the ground, he hit his head on the pavement, fracturing his skull and causing fatal brain damage.

"Our thoughts are today with the family and friends of Mr Shakespeare."