Teenager jailed for killing off duty police officer


A teenager who killed an off duty police officer as a result of a single punch, has today been jailed at Wolverhampton Crown Court to three and a half years.

Dale Dixon, aged 19, had previously pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Christopher Findley who had been with friends for a night out in Wolverhampton city centre.

In the early hours of Monday 28 January 2013, the victim was walking down Darlington Street in the city when he became involved in a minor altercation with a group of people. As Mr Findley walked away, Dixon chased after him and delivered a single punch which resulted in the victim falling to the floor unconscious, hitting his head on the pavement.

The emergency services were called and Mr Findley was taken to New Cross Hospital and later transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital when a CT scan revealed a bleed on the brain. He would die 10 days later.

A police investigation was launched, and with the help of CCTV footage, all those involved in the incident were arrested and Dale Dixon was later charged with manslaughter.

Ian Crooks, Acting Sector Crown Prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"This was an extremely tragic case where the victim had the misfortune of crossing paths with the defendant and his friends which would eventually lead to his death.

"After a night out with friends in Wolverhampton, Christopher Findley began to make his way home.  Along the same road, Dale Dixon and his friends were also heading home. A minor altercation took place and Mr Findley began to walk away from the group in order to put some distance between them.

"However, Dixon ran towards the victim and without breaking side, he punched him with such force that it rendered Mr Findley unconscious resulting him to fall to the floor, banging his head on the pavement.

"The victim was taken to hospital where scans revealed that the victim had suffered bleeding to the brain. Mr Findley died 10 days later.

"A file was passed to us by the police and we examined all of the evidence, including expert medical advice, and we authorised the police to charge Dale Dixon with the manslaughter of Mr Findley.

"Our thoughts are today with Mr Findley's friends and family and we hope that today's sentence can bring a sense of closure on this very tragic incident."