Paul Wilson sentenced to life imprisonment for 46 sexual offences on 23 young girls


A former nursery worker has today been sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court to life imprisonment after he had pleaded guilty to 46 sexual offences, including oral rape of a three-year-old child at the nursery where he worked, and offences involving young girls from around the country.

In January 2011, Paul Wilson, aged 21, was arrested and subsequently charged with two counts of oral rape of a child at the Little Star Nursery in Nechells, Birmingham. Following his arrest, officers from West Midlands Police conducted an examination of Mr Wilson's computers and he was charged with further offences of making indecent photographs of children, distributing indecent photographs of children and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

Wendy Bounds, Complex Casework Lawyer from the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Complex Casework Unit, said: "This has been a very complex and sensitive case involving 23 individuals aged between three and 16 years of age from across the country.

"Paul Wilson preyed on vulnerable young girls who he encountered in internet chat rooms. He hid his real identity and led the girls to think he was a friend and asked them to turn their webcams on and by this means he was able to see them in intimate situations.

"If his initial approach under a false identity was unsuccessful, he would then use multiple further aliases on social networking sites to either gain their trust or threaten them in order to get them to perform sexual acts, which he could watch. If one alias was rejected by the intended target, he would return again and again, using different profiles, sometimes that of a female, until either threats or persuasion made them perform sexual acts as he wanted.

"Unfortunately, the teenage girls did not realise that they were in effect allowing a stranger into their bedroom with a camera.  The risk is that the resulting pictures saved in the stranger's computer can then be sent on to others unknown to the girl. This did happen to one of the young girls in this case when the pictures were then sent on to another male. 

"He then took this one step further by targeting and orally raping a vulnerable three year-old girl at a nursery where he was working.  Unfortunately, concerns raised by other staff about his behaviour and the appropriateness of his relationship with the little girl did not prevent this happening.

"It took a brave young teenage girl to come forward and report his abuse to the police. This led to his arrest and this offending coming to light.

"We hope that this case sends out a clear message to everyone who uses social networking sites to be vigilant at all times when using such networks and to report any suspicious behaviour or requests to the appropriate authorities.

"Finally, the prosecution team would like to thank the victims and their families for the support that they have provided to the investigation and prosecution. Without their assistance and the thorough investigation by the police, we would not be here today."

The offences which were committed on the social networking site were via Windows Live Messenger and were carried out between 2005 and 2011 on 22 individuals aged between 12 years-old and 16 years-old from across the country.