Parents plead guilty to the death of their child


The parents of a 23-month-old baby, who was found dead at their home in Wolverhampton in May 2012, have today pleaded guilty to manslaughter and causing or allowing the death of a child.

Simon Jones, aged 30 pleaded guilty today at Wolverhampton Crown Court to the manslaughter of Daniel Jones and Emma Bradburn pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to causing or allowing the death of a child.

On 29 May 2012, the mother, Emma Bradburn, awoke to find her son was not breathing. Emergency services were called their house in Penn, Wolverhampton and the child was rushed to the New Cross Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Following a police investigation into how he passed away, the parents were arrested on suspicion of causing the death of their son. 

Hayley Firman, Head of the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service's Public Protection Unit, said:

"Simon Jones and Emma Bradburn where both regular users of drugs and it was through their illegal drugs activities which resulted in the death of their 23-month-old son, Daniel Jones.

"Daniel was rushed to the New Cross Hospital last year following complications with his breathing, but he had already succumbed to his condition and doctors were unable to save him.

"The pathologist's toxicology examination of hair samples taken from Daniel identified that he had been exposed to heroin and cannabis chronically as well as amphetamine and cocaine. There was also evidence of recent administration of illicit heroin found within his blood. The level was high and within the range of deaths from heroin overdose in adults with little or no tolerance to the drug.

"The defendant's home was searched where drugs paraphernalia was discovered as well as a cannabis factory.

"It is the duty for any responsible parents to protect their children from harm and drugs, but Jones and Bradburn exposed their young, defenceless son to an unsuitable environment, which contained hard drugs that would ultimately lead to his death.

"I would like to take this opportunity to praise my prosecution team who worked very closely with the police to ensure that justice was delivered for Daniel."