Georgia Williams murderer jailed for life


Jamie Reynolds has today been sentenced to life imprisonment at Stafford Crown Court after he had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to the murder of Telford teenager, Georgia Williams.

The 17-year-old victim went missing from her home on 26 May 2013 and following a search by police, her body was found in woodland near Wrexham five days later.

The 22-year-old defendant, who lived with his family a few hundred yards away from where Georgia lived with her family, had lured the victim to his home having had told her he wanted to pursue a career in photography. This was a lie.

Once she was at his home, he then proceeded to kill her and sexually assault her.

Reynolds then used his step-fathers van and plotted a course north to dispose the body. His plan was to get rid of the victims body, return home and claim that he did not know what had happened to Georgia. He transported the body nearly 50 miles from the scene of the crime and he then dumped her body in a wooded area.  

On 28 May 2013 the victim was reported missing by her family and the police investigation began. The defendant, who after disposing the body had driven to Scotland in his step-fathers van, was arrested early the next morning in Glasgow.

As a result of an appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch programme, Georgias body was found on 31 May 2013 in woodland in North Wales.

The defendant was brought back to West Mercia where he was charged with the murder of Georgia Williams.

Martha Secker, Senior Crown Prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"Jamie Reynolds is a very dangerous sexual predator who targeted a young victim for his own gratification.

"He knew Georgia and he lured her to his home under the false pretext of carrying out a photo shoot for a media project which he claimed he was working on. She went with the kindest and best of motives. She did not know she was going to meet a man who not only had a fascination and obsession with violent sexual pornography, but who intended to kill her.

"She did not return home that night. Reynolds had discovered weeks before what the code was to her phone and accessed it that night to send text messages to her parents which led them to believe she was alive and with friends. In fact by that time she was dead and he had sexually abused her dead body and taken photographs of it.

"The consequence of his obsession ultimately left him with no choice but to plead guilty to his heinous crime.

"He is and will always be a dangerous man obsessed by sexual sadism.

"We hope that today's sentence and the knowledge that criminal proceedings have ended will bring some relief to Georgia's family. The pain and grief they have endured and will endure is unimaginable. Our thoughts will always be with them."