Disqualified drink driver jailed for crashing into mobility scooter


A disqualified driver, whilst under the influence of alcohol, collided into a mobility scooter as he drove off from a petrol station without paying for fuel, has today been jailed to three years at Birmingham Crown Court.

On 18 April 2014, Steven Tucker, 28, from Ward End in Birmingham, took his partner's Hyundai Lantra car without her permission.

He then drove to the Murco petrol station on the Coventry Road and filled up with £30 of fuel.  Instead of going into the kiosk and paying for the fuel, Tucker got back into his car and made an attempt to drive off, however, in doing so, he collided with a Ford Mondeo on the petrol forecourt.

The owner of the Ford Mondeo tried to stop Tucker from driving off, but the defendant drove onto a grass embankment and up the wrong side of the Coventry Road before eventually cutting back onto the correct side.

It was at this point that he collided with the mobility scooter. The victim received several serious injuries and was later taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Tucker continued to drive away from the scene at excessive speeds and was eventually apprehended by members of the public who pursued him on quad bikes near the Wheatsheaf Public House on the Coventry Road.

Police arrived soon after and he was arrested and when the police breathalysed him he was found to be three and a half times the legal limit.

He was charged with aggravated vehicle taking, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, making off without payment, driving whilst disqualified and drink driving to which he pleaded guilty to.

Emma Wynne-Owen, a Crown Advocate from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"The actions taken by Steven Tucker not only put his own life in danger but that of other road users as well.

"Whilst over the limit for driving and in order to avoid paying £30 for fuel as well as liability for the collision with the Mondeo, he committed a number of highly dangerous and illegal driving manoeuvres which culminated in his car colliding with the victim who was in her mobility scooter resulting in her receiving serious injuries. Rather than call for medical assistance or assist the victim, he continued to drive dangerously to avoid being caught.

"I would like to take this opportunity of praising the members of the public who apprehended Tucker and remained with him until the police arrived to arrest him."