Bank robber jailed for 11 years


A robber who pleaded guilty to carrying out armed robberies of banks in the West Midlands, London and Liverpool and of a bookmaker’s in West Yorkshire has today been sentenced to 11 years imprisonment at Wolverhampton Crown Court.

Gregory Dike, aged 39 and from Harlesden, London was arrested by West Midlands police after he stole £700 from the NatWest Bank in Rowley Regis.

On 17 April 2014, Dike walked into the bank wearing a boiler suit and a motorcycle helmet, produced a large hunting knife, threatened a bank customer and demanded money from the teller.

As he tried to make his escape, Dike unsuccessfully attempted to hijack two cars, before eventually being detained by the police. In addition to the hunting knife and the money from the bank, officers recovered from the defendant two smoke bombs and a key card which led the police to a hotel where he had been staying. In a suitcase at that hotel, the police found five more smoke bombs and a Walther BB handgun.

It was subsequently discovered that Dike was responsible for similar offences in Leeds and London and Liverpool

Dike was eventually charged with four counts of robbery, one of attempted robbery and four of possessing an imitation firearm.

Iain Farrimond, Senior Crown Prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said:

"Over a short period of time, Gregory Dike planned and executed four armed robberies across the country. He failed with an attempt to rob a further bank, fleeing empty handed. During each offence, he has produced either a gun or a large hunting knife and threatened customers as well as bank staff.

"He is an extremely dangerous man who when arrested had a number of weapons in his possession. We must be thankful that no one was seriously hurt during his commission of the five offences.

"I would like to take this opportunity of praising the courageous member of the public, who on seeing the robbery in Rowley Regis and despite being threatened himself, managed to keep Dike in visual contact until the police arrived to arrest him. Without his brave actions, Dike might have made good his escape and remained at liberty to commit further serious offences, and the previous offences in Leeds, London and Liverpool would have remained unsolved."