Three men found guilty of murder of a Boscombe man


Stuart Wareham 26, Benjamin Walter 22 and Lee Wareham 33, all from the Boscombe area of Bournemouth have today been found guilty at Winchester Crown Court for the murder of Geoffrey Reed who was 57-years-old at the time of his death.

Simon Jones, Senior Crown Advocate for CPS Wessex said: "This was a sad case that led to the murder of a vulnerable and frail man."

"Geoffrey Reed weighed just eight stones and was in ill heath when he was murdered in the middle of the day on Thursday 7th June 2012 in his own home. His body was then taken approximately 13 miles, in a suitcase, to a shallow grave in the woods at Lytchett Matravers, west of Poole.

"Mr Reed originally met Stuart Wareham at St Paul's Direct Access Hostel after his release from prison. He was the tenant of a one bedroom flat and on occasions he let Stuart Wareham and Benjamin Walter stay there. By the time of the murder they had virtually moved in. Lee Wareham is the half brother of Stuart and visited the flat a few times.

"In March last year, Stuart Wareham found out why Mr Reed had been in prison and he assaulted him. On the day of his death, Benjamin Walter took him to the Nationwide Building Society to withdraw money out of his account. When they returned to the flat it was the last time Mr Reed was seen alive. While it is true that Mr Reed was a convicted sex offender this cannot justify the brutal attack on him and from which he died."

"There was an immediate cover up to the murder.  Benjamin Walter put Mr Reed's jacket on and left the flat.  This was to make it look as if he had left to go to Weymouth; a lie that was told to the police when the body had not yet been discovered.  Lee Wareham later discarded the jacket in a near by shed.  Stuart Wareham and Benjamin Walter also put his body into a suitcase.  It was initially claimed that it was a dead dog which they wanted to bury at Warehams grandmother's property at Lytchett Matravers. The men borrowed spades and a fork and made their way into woods nearby where they dug a shallow grave and put the suitcase with the body in it.

"The Crown Prosecution Service and Dorset Police have worked as a highly effective team to secure these convictions. We hope this outcome allows those involved to feel a sense of closure following the distressing events of last June."