Man charged in connection with Newport sex attacks


A man has been charged in relation to incidents on Sunday, 20 November 2011, in a subway which runs underneath Newport rail station.

Nicola Rees, Senior Crown Prosecutor for CPS Cymru-Wales, said: "The Crown Prosecution Service has been working closely alongside British Transport Police and Gwent Police, in relation to their investigation into two incidents that occurred in Newport city centre in the early hours of last Sunday morning.

"We can now confirm that, having carefully examined a file of evidence provided by British Transport Police, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence to charge Wayne David Jackson in relation to these incidents and that it is in the public interest to do so.

"Accordingly, we have advised British Transport Police to charge him with one count of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of robbery.

"The defendant now stands charged with serious criminal offences and has the right to a fair trial. It is important that nothing should be published that could prejudice that trial."

Jackson, aged 23, of Newport, was arrested on Monday, 21 November, as part of an investigation which was launched by British Transport Police (BTP) and Gwent Police following a report of a sexual assault and a separate attempted sexual assault involving two women in the subway the early hours of Sunday, 20 November.

He is due to appear at Caerphilly Magistrates Court tomorrow (Friday, 25 November).

Officers have moved to reassure the residents of Newport that the city is a safe place to live and work.

Detective Inspector Mark Cleland, who has been leading the investigation for BTP, said: "I think it's important to realise that this was an isolated incident.

"Newport city centre is well policed, and is largely a safe and secure environment. It is also well lit and has a good CCTV system to protect the community.

"Incidents such as this are extremely rare. On this occasion, officers worked long and hard to ensure the suspect was arrested and charged as quickly as possible.

"Our officers will be out in Newport on Saturday night to reassure people in and around the rail station and to appeal for any witnesses who may have been in the area last Saturday night or early Sunday morning."