Man charged after Cwmbran house fire fatalities

22/09/2012

A 28-year-old man has been charged with three counts of murder following a fire that led to the deaths of three people at a house in Cwmbran.

Nicola Rees, Senior Crown Prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service in Wales, said: "The Crown Prosecution Service has been in close contact with Gwent Police during their investigation into the tragic deaths of Kim, Kayleigh and Kimberley Buckley, after a fire at their home in Cwmbran.

"We can now confirm that, having carefully examined a file of the evidence gathered so far by Gwent Police, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to charge Carl Anthony Mills with three counts of murder.

"Accordingly, we have authorised Gwent Police to charge the defendant. He will appear at Caerphilly Magistrates' Court this morning (Saturday).

"These are extremely serious criminal charges and the police investigation continues. It is therefore vital that nothing is published that may hamper either the ongoing police enquiries or the defendant's right to a fair trial."

Senior Investigating Officer for Gwent Police, Detective Superintendent Pete Jones, said: "Our thoughts remain with the family of Kim, Kayleigh and Kimberley at this difficult time.

"I would like to thank the family and the wider community of Coed Eva for their patience and support throughout our investigation so far."