Woman jailed for murder of her baby son - Windsor


A woman appeared for sentence at the Old Bailey today, Friday, 24 January 2014, and has been jailed for life, and is to serve a minimum of 14 years, for the murder of her 11-month-old son Callum Wilson.

Emma Wilson, aged 25, of Paddock Close, Windsor, was convicted on 13 December 2013, after she was unanimously found guilty by a jury of one count of murder, following a five week trial.

The court heard Callum was born on 23 April 2010, and spent the first few months of his life with foster parents.

In November 2010, Callum returned to the care of his mother, Emma Wilson.

On Friday, 18 March 2011, Callum was taken by ambulance to Wexham Park Hospital in Slough with injuries. Following medical tests he was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford where he died on Sunday, 20 March 2011.

Emma Wilson was arrested on 31 March 2011, and during police interviews denied causing harm to Callum.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This was a tragic crime, which led to the untimely death of 11-month-old Callum Wilson.  On Friday, 18 March 2011, Callum was taken by ambulance to Wexham Park Hospital, Slough.  Following medical tests he was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford where he subsequently died on Sunday, 20 March 2011.  The cause of death was a serious head injury, but Callum was also found to have suffered many other injuries including fractures to his ribs, right arm and left leg, bleeding in his eyes, and many bruises to his face and body.  It is impossible to imagine a more vulnerable victim.

"This was an extremely difficult and complex case to prosecute.  Without any eye witnesses, we needed lengthy and highly technical evidence from top medical experts to help provide an explanation as to why this baby died.  This evidence enabled the prosecution to piece together what had happened and exclude any possible innocent explanation for the baby's death.

"Emma Wilson maintained her innocence throughout the investigation and trial, claiming that Callum's injuries were accidental, but was found unanimously guilty by a jury of the murder of her son on Friday, 13 December 2013, after a five week trial, which took place at the Old Bailey in London.  The truth is that the fatal injuries Wilson caused were the culmination of a series of violent acts by her towards her son.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved for baby Callum.  We hope that the conviction and sentence will in some way help his extended family come to terms with this tragic event.

"Emma Wilson has today been sentenced to life and to serve a minimum of 14 year imprisonment.  However, no matter how long the prison sentence is,  we acknowledge that nothing can make up for the loss of Callum. Our thoughts are very much with his extended family at this time."

Speaking following the sentencing, Detective Superintendant Ian Hunter, said: "The sentence today is a reflection of the abuse Callum suffered at the hands of someone entrusted to care for him and the pain he must have felt during his short life.

"It also reflects on the dedication and efforts of the investigating officers and prosecution team to deliver justice for Callum during what was a difficult and emotional case for many of them.

"Of course, sadly it does not bring Callum back and our thoughts will always remain with him."