Woman jailed for assisting offender - Bedfordshire


A woman was sentenced last week to 9-months in prison for lying to police about the whereabouts of a man wanted for attempted murder at a takeaway shop in Midland Road, Bedford.

Shuily Begum, 21, of Francis Bacon Court, Surrey Quays, London, had pleaded not guilty to assisting an offender.  At a trial at Luton Crown Court in July she was found guilty by the jury.

On Tuesday, 11 September 2012, the judge at Cambridge Crown Court also sentenced her to 12-months in prison for a separate offence of conspiracy to steal in relation to an incident at Claire's Accessories in Stevenage. Begum pleaded guilty to this offence in August. The sentences will run consecutively, giving her a total of 21-months in prison.

The attempted murder took place in the Royal Peri Peri chicken shop on 23 November 2011, when Akhtar Miah, 25, of Queen's Road, London, shot a male customer in the face with a shotgun. Two other men; 18-year-old Fahim Khan of Fenlake Road, and a 17-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons, were present at the incident and were found guilty of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear.

The men had been involved in an earlier argument with the customer, aged 34, and took revenge as he stood in the chicken shop waiting for food.  Fortunately, the man received only relatively minor pellet wounds.

Begum had previously been in a relationship with the main offender Akhtar Miah and had a child with him.  When the police were searching for Miah they went to her family's home in Costin Street, Bedford, to look for him. She was visiting at the time and initially denied to officers that she knew any one by that name.

But when detectives told her how serious the matter was, she admitted he was the father of her child, but then said she no longer had anything to do with him and hadn't had any contact with him for a year.

She continued with this story as the two teenagers were charged and went through the initial court hearings, while detectives from the Major Crime Unit continued to try to find Miah.

Eventually on 09 December 2011, the Metropolitan Police Service's armed police caught up with Miah in the early hours of the morning staying at Begum's flat in Surrey Quays. Evidence from her mobile phone showed she had been in constant contact with him at least since 30 November.