Wigan man jailed for sexual abuse - Bedford

10/03/2017

A Wigan man has today, Friday, 10 March 2017, been jailed for 10 years for sexual abuse.

Clyde Stevens had sexually abused a young girl in the early 1970s when he lived in Bedford and he was aged between 14 and 18. But the offences were not reported to police at the time. However, in 2015 he sexually assaulted the same victim when she was 54, and she went to police.

Stevens, aged 60, of Leigh, Wigan, Manchester pleaded not guilty to nine charges he faced, but was convicted by a jury at Luton Crown Court earlier this year. He was convicted of four sample charges of indecent assault, four sample charges of indecency with a child, and one charge of assault by penetration.

Judge Barbara Mensah told him: "Your own psychiatrist has described you as manipulative and devious. You are still unable to accept the reality of the matter."

Matthew Harding, defending said: "He continues to maintain his denials. He is an intelligent, professional man, who will be vulnerable in a custodial setting. It will hit him hard."

Wayne Cleaver, prosecuting said the victim had made an impact statement, in which she said she would never forgive him. She said she had sought counselling in the intervening years and had been doing well, until their paths crossed again in 2015 and he assaulted her.

In addition to the custodial sentence, Stevens was made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention order and a restraining order.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyrightę for all articles published.