Uncle and nephew jailed for assaulting relative - Luton


An uncle and his nephew were both jailed for two and a half years today, Tuesday, 03 May 2016, for attacking a relative with a machete and a baseball bat.

Amsud Ayub, aged 30, and Fahad Ayub, aged 21, launched the assault because of a family dispute over land in Pakistan, Luton Crown Court heard. The victim, who is Amsud's cousin, said he thought he was going to die.

Prosecutor Sukwinder Dhadda said in the early evening of 5 November last year, the victim was sitting outside the Chicken shop in Bishopscote Road, Luton in his white Toyota Avensis. A blue BMW pulled up and Amsud Ayub got out of the driver's side and Fahad Ayub from the passenger side. She said they smashed the car's glass. Amsud Ayub was said to have hit him 4 or 5 times with a 2 foot long machete. When the victim tried to escape through the front passenger door, he was stopped by Fahad Ayub, who hit him on the back of the head with a baseball bat.

Ms Dhadda said the victim managed to escape to the Chicken shop and then drove himself to the accident and emergency department because it took too long for an ambulance to arrive. He spent two days in hospital where he was treated for a 2cm cut to the back of the head, swelling above the left eye, a cut to his right middle finger that needed plastic surgery and a cut to his left hand.

In a victim impact statement, the victim said: "I am left upset, shocked and hurt. Thank God I am still alive. I believe they wanted to kill me." He said that, as a Muslim, he forgave them.

The prosecutor said: "The victim felt the motive for the attack was an old family feud. His father had sold land in Pakistan and Amsud Ayub also thought that the victim's father owed him money. He says he did not owe him anything." £2,000 of damage was caused to the car.

Amsud Ayub, of St Ives Close, Luton and Fahad Ayub, of St Michael's Crescent, Luton, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) to the victim after the jury had been sworn for their trial on a charge of GBH with intent. The prosecution accepted their plea to the lesser charge. Fahad Ayub had earlier pleaded guilty to damaging the car, Amsud Ayub pleaded guilty today to that charge.

For Amsud Ayub, Andrew Selby said: "It is a sad, sorry tale involving family members." He said the father of three had been working renting out luxury cars until he was remanded in custody.

Daniel Darnborough, for Fahad Ayub, said he recognised his behaviour had been unacceptable. He said he had been actively involved at his Mosque. He said he had hoped to work in the security business, but that opportunity had now gone because of his conviction.

Jailing them, Judge Philip Bartle QC said: "It must have been a truly terrifying experience. I am not surprised he thought he was going to be killed. "It was a sustained and repeated assault. You are fortunate the injuries were not more serious."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.