Two teenagers found guilty of Micah Urquhart's death - Luton

26/03/2014

Two teenagers have been found guilty and today, Wednesday, 26 March 2014, sentenced in connection with the death of Micah Urquhart from Luton.

Waqar Younis, aged 19, from Queens Close, Luton, and Paul Lynam, aged 18, from Midland Road, Luton, were both charged with Micah's murder after detectives from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit launched an investigation on 13 September 2013.

Micah Urquhart, aged 19, from Hastings Street, Luton died after being found injured in Hastings Street at 12.40am on Friday, 13 September 2013, by a member of the public.

Police attended the scene and administered first aid before being joined by members of the Ambulance Service. However, Micah died at the scene.

The trial began at Luton Crown Court on 05 March 2014, during which the jury heard how Micah, who was originally from Hertfordshire, had been moved into his flat in Hastings Street, Luton, by social workers to help him "integrate," but the flat had become a "haunt" for anti social visitors, including Younis and Lynam. It was also alleged that the two defendants had taken over the flat and were using it as a base to sell and use drugs.

Standing in the dock, Younis denied the killing and said that that the first he knew of Micah's killing was when he saw a report on the television news. He also said that Micah had been responsible for smashing windows at his family's home in Luton as a result of bad feeling between them, because of a tackle he had made on him when they were playing football. Younis denied he had gone round to Micah's flat in Hastings Street to "take matters in hand."

The jury found Younis guilty of murdering Micah on Tuesday, 25 March 2014, and he was sentenced today to life and to serve a minimum of 28 years' imprisonment.

When Lynam gave evidence he admitted scuffling with Micah, but had been 'shocked'  when his Younis delivered the fatal stab wounds to the victim. Lynam also denied using Micah's flat as the headquarters for his drug dealing.

The jury found Lynam not guilty of murdering Micah on Tuesday, 25 March 2014, but today found him guilty of his manslaughter. He was sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said; "This case involved the tragic death of 19-year-old Micah Urquhart.

"On the evening of 12 September 2013, Waqar Younis, Paul Lynam and two others attended the home address of Micah in Luton. Micah had fallen out with Younis, so declined them entry and refused to come out. After causing damage and making threats to kill him the men left. Shortly after, Micah left his flat possibly to collect his benefits, which would have been paid into his account at midnight. Micah was confronted by the men and assaulted. During the assault Micah was stabbed in the heart and after struggling to his feet he collapsed and died just after midnight a short distance from his home.

"Younis denied being involved in Micah's death, which was clearly a planned attack, but was found guilty of murder despite his denials. Lynam was found not guilty of murder, but guilty of manslaughter. Both Younis and Lynam acted together to attack the victim and inflict serious injury and neither attempted to render assistance once the injuries had been caused. In fact they simply drifted from the scene, disposing of the fatal weapon as they left.

"This case represents a tragedy for the family of Micah. His family and friends have been devastated by his untimely death. I would like to pay tribute to Micah's family for their wholehearted support of this investigation and the dignity they have displayed while hearing the horrific details of how Micah was killed. I would also like to thank the witnesses, who came forward and gave evidence in very difficult circumstances.

"We have worked closely with Bedfordshire Police since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved.

"We know that nothing will bring Micah back to his family and friends, but we hope that today's convictions and sentences bring them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Fraser Wylie from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: "While today's verdict is a pleasing one, we must take time to remember that a young life has been cruelly cut short by the actions of these individuals.

"This was a difficult case from the beginning, but thanks to the information that we received from the public we were able to piece together the final moments of Micah's life and identify those people responsible for his untimely death.

"Micahs family have been very supportive of the police investigation and have remained dignified throughout the entire process and court trial. I know that nothing can change the traumatic and tragic events of 13 September, but I hope that Micah's family can take some solace in knowing that his killers have now been brought to justice.

"Younis and Lynam took advantage of Micah, they moved their drugs operation into his home, and then they killed him when an argument took place. The pair have shown a distinct lack of remorse throughout this trial and they now face the prospect of a very lengthy jail term."