Two men jailed for serious assault - Slough

25/11/2013

Two men appeared at Reading Crown Court on Friday, 22 November 2013, and were jailed for 14 years each after being convicted of an incident of grievous bodily harm (GBH) in Slough.

Julius Mukenge, aged 26, of Church Street, Chalvey pleaded guilty to one count of GBH on 07 October. On 18 October 2013, he was acquitted of one count of ABH.

Samuel Kibe, aged 25, of High Street, Slough pleaded guilty to one count of ABH on 07 October against a second victim.  On 18 October 2013, he was found guilty by a jury of one count of GBH.

At about 2.15am on 18 February 2012, the victim, a 34-year-old man, was buying a kebab with a friend, another 34-year-old man, when they were approached by Mukenge and Kibe and attacked.

The first victim was put to the floor where he was kicked and punched. The second victim was punched and fell to the floor. Kibe and Mukenge left the scene before police arrived.  However, the incident was witnessed by members of the public and captured on CCTV.

As a result of a media appeal, Kibe and Mukenge handed themselves in at a police station and were arrested in connection with the incident.

The first victim suffered life-changing injuries and will require medical care for the rest of his life. He sustained fractures to his skull and jaw, a bleed on the brain and was left in a coma. Since the attack he has been unable to walk unaided or perform basic tasks as a result of his head injury.

Ruth Bowskill, Temporary Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPC) said: "This case involved an incident, which resulted in the 34-year-old victim sustaining extensive life changing injuries.

"After enjoying a night out on Friday, 17 February 2012, the victim and his friend were in the High Street, Slough making their way home when they were attacked by Julius Mukenge and Samuel Kibe.  Both victims were punched and kicked during the unprovoked attack.  The first victim was ferociously attacked, knocked to the ground and beaten unconscious and into a coma.  Bones in his face were broken and he suffered a brain injury, which required a section of it to be removed.  He has been left unable to carry out basic everyday tasks and is expected to have significant ongoing disability, which will require long term, around the clock nursing care and support.

"Mukenge claimed that the victim was the aggressor and that he had punched him once in self defence.  He later pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent.  Kibe also claimed he acted in self defence, but the jury found him guilty of inflicting GBH with intent, after a two week trial, despite his denials.  It is clear that both men acted together, jointly, to attack the victim and that their intention was to cause him serious harm.

"This case represents a tragedy for the victim, and his family, who are devastated by his life changing injuries and the effect they are having on his quality of life.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since the investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved.

"We know that nothing can undo what happened to the victim, but we hope that today's conviction and sentence brings him and his family and friends at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Following the conviction, investigating officer, Detective Constable Emma Mullenger said: "I would like to thank the court for the sentences handed out today. The lives of the victims and their families have been devastated by this assault. The sentences will keep the public safe from the two defendants for a substantial period of time.

"The police would like to thank the people that came forward after witnessing the terrible events in Slough High Street last year. We would also like to thank the local media for assisting the police with their appeal, if it had not happened these convictions may have never come about."