Two men found guilty of child sexual exploitation offences - Slough

16/12/2014

Two men were today, Tuesday, 16 December 2014, convicted at Reading Crown Court of a number of sexual offences against three girls following an investigation into child sexual exploitation in Slough.

Esmatullah Haidaree, aged 45, of Farm Crescent, Slough, and Azim Ahmed, aged 23, of Diamond Road, Slough, were convicted by a jury following a two-and-a-half week trial.

Haidaree was convicted of two counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and four counts of sexual assault.  Ahmed was convicted of five counts of sexual activity with a child.

During the early hours of Sunday, 07 April 2013, Thames Valley Police were contacted by a member of the public who reported that two girls were sleeping on a spare matress in a flat in Slough. Police found the two girls, who said they had been offered a place to stay for the night.

When spoken to, officers learned that the two girls, along with a third girl, had been sexually abused by Haideree and Ahmed.

Haidaree and Ahmed were arrested in May and June last year following an investigation by Thames Valley Police's Child Abuse Investigation Unit (CAIU). They were subsequently charged in March this year in relation to a number of incidents involving three girls aged 14 and 15.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "The actions of these two men were truly appalling. No-one, let alone a child, should ever be exploited as these young girls were. I commend their bravery in providing evidence for the prosecution. They have enabled their abusers to face trial and be brought to justice.

"The two men, Azim Ahmed, aged 23 and Esmatullah Haidaree, aged 45, both from Slough, who have been convicted have still failed to accept any responsibility for their actions. They are nothing less than vicious sexual predators. The jury saw through their fabrications and they must now face full responsibility for their despicable behaviour.

"The Crown Prosecution Service has made tackling child sexual abuse a national priority. Last year, the Director of Public Prosecutions announced a radical programme of work in this area, to ensure that police and prosecutors deliver justice for more victims than ever before.  We are becoming increasingly adept at securing convictions and delivering justice for victims.

"In this case we worked closely with Thames Valley Police from early in the investigation to help build the strongest possible prosecution case. Their investigators, and Crown Prosecution Service lawyers and caseworkers have worked tirelessly to bring this difficult prosecution to court.

"I urge any victims of sexual offences to come forward and report their abuse. We will support you in giving evidence so that your attackers can be brought to justice and others like you can be saved from the horrific ordeal of abuse. The emotional impact, on the victims and their families, of the abhorrent actions of these two men is impossible to quantify. I very much hope today's verdicts provide some comfort to them. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Detective Sergeant Richard Jarvis, officer in the case, said: "Firstly, I want to take this opportunity to thank the victims for their absolute bravery in coming forward and their courage in giving evidence at court. My thoughts continue to be with them, their families and also the witnesses who gave evidence.

"Today's convictions mark the end of a lengthy and complex investigation which involved two men taking advantage of three young and vulnerable girls.

"Ahmed and Haidaree have maintained their innocence ever since being arrested last year. However, as a result of a thorough and detailed investigation, and with the support of the victims, they have today been found guilty and rightly so.

"These convictions reflect the severity of their offending and should send out a clear message to anyone targeting children in this way, that Thames Valley Police will not tolerate such criminality and will pursue and convict those responsible."

The two men will be sentenced at Reading Crown Court on a date to be confirmed.