Teens locked up for harassment of boy - Luton


Two teenagers who waged a campaign of harassment against a Polish boy and his family have been sent into custody.

The pair appeared at Luton Crown Court today, Thursday, 18 July 2013, and were told by Judge Laura Harris that they had behaved like "arrogant young thugs."

Jamie Redmond, 19, appeared in court and is already in custody as in June of this year he was sentenced to six years in a young offenders institute for robbery, false imprisonment, and attempted robbery.

Today he was sentenced to 26 months in a young offenders institute to run concurrently with the term he is already serving.

A 16-year-old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, who had also taken part in what Judge Harris described as a "campaign" against the boy and his family was sentenced to 18 months detention and training.

The pair were before the Judge following their convictions at the end of a trial in June in which they had denied racially aggravated common assault on the young Polish boy on 24 March last year.

Jamie Redmond of Leagrave High street, Leagrave in Luton had pleaded not guilty to common assault on the boy on the same date, but was convicted.

Both teenagers had been found guilty of racially aggravated intentional harassment concerning the boy's parents on the same date.

The 16-year-old pleaded not guilty to racially aggravated common assault of the boy on 11 April.

Both teenagers were convicted of causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm and distress to the boy's stepdad on 13 April.

Both were convicted of threatening to damage and destroy property of the stepdad on 13 April and the 16-year-old was convicted of a charge of intimidation.

It was in March of last year when the polish boy, who was just 15 at the time, was walking with his uncle in the Lewsey Farm area when they came across Jamie Redmond and three others in an alleyway. The boy said Redmond grabbed his arm and threatened to punch him in the face and called him a name. He said he managed to get away and went home and told his stepdad what had happened. He said later his stepdad drove him to a park on Lewsey Farm.

He said on this occasion the 16-year-old was present and punched him in the face. Jamie Redmond was also present and he said he was kicked and punched a number of times.

He said the boys wanted to fight with his stepfather and when his mother came into the park the 16-year-old called her a name.

The Polish boy told the court on 11 April last year he, his stepdad, and his uncle and his younger brother were out cycling along Leagrave High Street. It was around 9.45pm and he said they encountered the two teenagers. The boy said he was pushed by the 16-year-old.

He said on Friday, 15 April he was cycling when he was again subjected to threats and intimidation by the teenagers.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.