Teenager jailed for rape and GBH - Luton


A teenage girl has been left with a mental age of 8 after her former boyfriend knocked her unconscious in a frenzied attack before he raped her.

The 14-year-old was struck repeatedly about the head with a bottle before being kicked by the youth, who dragged her into a quiet area of a park where she was raped. She was left for dead in Lewsey Park, Luton, while her 15-year-old attacker tried to cover his tracks and deviously pretended he had found her and sought help for her.

Police and ambulance crews were called to the park shortly before 9pm on  Sunday, 19 January and the girl was taken to Addenbrooke's hospital in Cambridge where she was in a critical condition for weeks. She underwent three brain operations. She was kept in an induced coma and her family were forewarned that she may die.

She now has a mental age of eight, is mostly wheelchair bound, and may be registered visually impaired. There is a risk she will suffer epileptic fits and have a shortened life expectancy. She has been treated at a rehabilitation centre since the attack. She has also started to have vague recollections of the attack which have added to her trauma.

The 15-year-old boy, who is now 16, pleaded guilty to rape on 16 May 2014, and causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent on 23 June 2014. His plea of not guilty to attempted murder was accepted by the prosecution.

Today, Friday, 01 August 2014, at Luton Crown Court he was given a discretionary life sentence. The Judge set a tariff of 14 years which means he will be able to apply for parole after six and a half years.

Judge Michael Kay QC told him: "Even the most case hardened judge can be confronted with a set of facts that still have the capability to shock. This is one such case. The description is sickening and abhorrent and demonstrates your callous, devious and deceitful nature, passing yourself off as simply a passer by who had come across the body. You cruelly asserted you were not the person who attacked her, but the one who saved her. It seems to me no-one can predict whether the anger and the demons that are within you will ever leave you. I predict you will spend considerably longer in custody than the minimum term."

He said he had read victim impact statements from the girl's family, which were not read out in court. "Nothing I can say or do will give them comfort or solace," he added.

Beverly Cripps, prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) told the court that the couple had a brief relationship, but after it ended he became angry because he believed she was behaving in an unpleasant way towards a girl they both knew. On the hours preceding the attack he posted messages on Facebook saying he intended to cause her serious violence to teach her a lesson, and talking about how she could be killed. Friends thought he was just boasting or joking. He also arranged a meeting place and time with the victim, and went along armed with a knife.

Miss Cripps said his attack on her was ferocious and caused massive head injuries. He then dragged her body for 20 feet, removed some of her clothes and raped her. She may well have been unconscious by that stage. Afterwards he threw her clothing in a stream and took her mobile phone and head phones, to make it appear she had been raped and mugged. Only after that did he call 999, and went to fetch her father and brother to the scene. He kept up his denials of assaulting her and said they had had consensual sex the night before, but changed his pleas after additional reports were obtained, and as he was about to stand trial.

Miss Bozzie Sheffi, defending, said the defendant had been having treatment for ADHD since he was six, and had problems controlling his temper. But he had been doing well at school, and had not offended before. "On many levels he is relieved now to have told the truth. He knows what he did was wicked and knows he must be punished. There is an element of immaturity on his part. He is a child with problems, a child with difficulties, but a child for whom there is still hope."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.