Teenager jailed for stabbing two Police Officers - Cheshunt


A teenager, who stabbed two policemen when they tried to question him in a Cheshunt High Street, was given an extended sentence today, Monday, 20 March 2017.

Dean Murphy had just turned eighteen when he stabbed the plain clothed officers of Friday, 16 September last year. One of the officers was stabbed in the arm and his colleague suffered wounds across his hands and fingers.

Today, Murphy, of Caledonian Road, Islington, appeared at St Albans Crown Court where he admitted wounding with intent to resist the lawful apprehension of himself, having an article with a blade or point and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

It was during the day on 16 September that the two officers were on duty in a police vehicle in the High Street in Cheshunt when they saw Murphy, who was on foot, and decided to question him. Having got out their car and approached the defendant, the policemen produced their warrant cards to show Murphy, but the court heard he tried to make a run for it. However, the officers managed to restrain him and, in the struggle that ensued, Murphy pulled out a large knife that he had been carrying.

The court heard he aimed a blow towards the body of Detective Constable Donald Ayriss, who managed to lean back and block the blade with his arm. As a result, he suffered a wound to his upper arm. His colleague, Detective Constable Daniel Bardwell, then found himself facing Murphy, who was still menacingly holding the knife. DC Bardwell suffered a wound across his hand.

Recorder Ann Mulligan, hearing the case, was told that Murphy, a father of a two year old child, had shown remorse for his actions that day.

David Rhodes, defending, said Murphy had grown up in a tough area of London where knife crime was prevalent and he himself had been stabbed twice in the past.

The court heard that Murphy had three previous convictions for carrying knives.

Recorder Mulligan sentenced Murphy to an extended sentence of 6 years and three months. The Recorder told him the custodial element of the sentence was four years and three months detention in a young offenders institute and, on his release, he would be subject to a longer period on licence of two years.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyrightę for all articles published.