Teenager jailed for manslaughter - Oxford


A teenager appeared at Oxford Crown Court today, Tuesday, 4 July 2017, and was jailed for four years for killing a man in Oxford last November.

Iman St Clair, aged 18, of Kestrel Crescent, Oxford, was sentenced today after pleading guilty, at the same court, on 8 June 2017, to manslaughter.

Rachel Lomas, Senior Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "This case involved the unlawful killing of 56-year-old Eamonn Anderson in Oxford last November.

"During the evening of Tuesday, 25 October 2016, Mr Anderson was walking his dog around Oxford town centre when he encountered Iman St Clair and his friends on a number of occasions and some exchanges took place. Later in the evening, about 11.30pm, Mr Anderson chanced upon the group again in the High Street and there followed an incident in which St Clair ferociously kicked Mr Anderson to the head. Mr Anderson fell to the floor where the back of his head struck the road and rendered him unconscious. He was taken to hospital with an extensive head injury (fractured skull, traumatic brain injury and a bleed on the brain) where he died on Friday, 11 November. St Clair fled the scene and caught a bus home leaving Mr Anderson severely injured on the ground.

"Witnesses described the terrifying kick as a scissor kick, brutal, like a martial arts or kung-fu style kick; the sort used by professional fighters. One witness described the sound of Mr Anderson's head hitting the ground as the most terrible sound he had ever heard.

"St Clair answered 'no comment' in his first two police interviews. He later accepted kicking Mr Anderson and that the kick caused the injuries from which he died, but claimed his actions were in self-defence and in defence of his friends, who were scared of Mr Anderson's dog. However, on 8 June 2017, at Oxford Crown Court, St Clair pleaded guilty to manslaughter, as an alternative to murder, and this plea was accepted by the prosecution team.

"We have worked closely with Thames Valley Police since this investigation was launched and as a result of the hard work and diligence of the prosecution team, a just outcome has been achieved. The CPS and police are committed to protecting the public from violent criminals and will continue to vigorously prosecute all such offenders. Today's sentence should act as a deterrent to others that violence will simply not be tolerated in our communities.

"We know that nothing will bring Mr Anderson back to his family and friends, but we hope that the conviction and today's sentence bring them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Mike Lynch, of the Thames Valley Police Major Crime Unit, said: "St Clair's actions on 25 October were violent, and Mr Anderson tragically died as a result of them.

"Although St Clair did not mean to kill Mr Anderson, he subjected him to a serious assault. If he had not done this, Mr Anderson would still be alive.

"This has understandably been a traumatic time for Mr Anderson's family and I would like to thank them for their support and bravery throughout this process. I hope that today's sentencing will start to help them to gain closure and to move on from this ordeal.

"This case shows how serious the consequences can be when people are involved in altercations, and I hope that it serves as a warning and a deterrent to people."