Teenager jailed for machete attack - Berkhamsted

05/10/2017

A teenager was sentenced to 18 months in custody today, Thursday, 5 October 2017, for an unprovoked attack with a machete.

Nathan Chapman, now 18, struck the victim as he sat on a sofa at his home in Berkhamsted High Street, embedding the machete in his left thigh, causing horrendous scarring.

St Albans Crown Court heard that Chapman, who had been taking cannabis and possibly amphetamine, ran from the property. When the police stopped him in the street he said: "It was me."

Chapman, who was being held at the Beech Unit, Kingsley Green, Harper Lane, Radlett, appeared for sentence after admitting wounding on 9 October 2016.

A psychiatrist said he had been suffering from a mental disorder at the time having taken "illicit substances."

Judge Andrew Bright QC told the teenager: "Unless you pull yourself together and stop abusing drugs courts will lock you up for a long time."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyrightę for all articles published.