Teenager jailed for attacking girl despite order - Luton


A Luton teenager, who attacked a girl in the street forcing her to the ground and punching her, was jailed for 20 months today, Friday, 31 March 2017.

It happened in Wauluds Bank Drive in the town and, when Sonni Recardo assaulted the teenager, he was also breaching a restraining order.

Luton Crown Court heard today that the restraining order on Recardo, which prevented him from contacting the girl, had been imposed earlier in the year.

Recardo, aged 18, of Copenhagen Close, Luton, appeared at court in custody having been committed for sentence by the Magistrates' Court. He admitted assault by beating and three offences of breaching the restraining order.

The court heard how Recardo had become fixated with the youngster, which had led to a stormy relationship between them. It was because of that, the order had been imposed.

Prosecutor Isobel Delamere said the terms of the order were that he couldn't contact her in any way. However, in November of last year, with the order up and running, he began sending her messages via Facebook. She asked him to leave her alone, but the messages continued and, between 21 November and 11 December, she received 50 messages from him. The effect of the messages on her was to make her uneasy about going out on her own.

The court heard the second breach occurred when the defendant approached a friend of the girl in the street to ask about her. Then, just before Christmas, Recardo breached the order for the third, and most serious, time when he attacked her in Wauluds Bank Drive. He pushed her to the ground, straddled her and punched her. He spat at her and, when a member of the public tried to approach him, he warned him off.

Alesdair King, defending, said Recardo was an immature young man who, when he didn't get what he wanted, behaved like a child. He said the defendant had developed a fixation for the young girl, but now wanted to change his ways.

Judge Nigel Lithman QC told Recardo he had been determined to ignore the order of the court. He sentenced him to 20 months in a Young Offenders Institute and made him the subject of a new restraining order to run until further notice.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyrightę for all articles published.