Stevenage taxi driver sentenced to ten years for rape


A Stevenage taxi driver, who raped a 19 year old girl after picking her up in his cab, has been sentenced to ten years in jail, on 8 April at Luton Crown Court.

Tariq Mahmood (48), of Archer Road, Stevenage, raped the girl in Ripon Road, Stevenage, after picking her up from Stevenage Leisure Park in the early hours of 31 October, 2009.

It was alleged that Mahmood had agreed to take the girl home but stopped the cab en route and sexually assaulted her. She left the cab after the attack and called police.

Mahmood, who was at the time licensed by Stevenage Borough Council, had his licence revoked by the council while awaiting trial.

CPS case lawyer, Helena Lewer, said: 'This case was an appalling crime in which Tariq Mahmood, a taxi driver, raped his young victim. It was a total breach of trust by someone on whom the public depend to transport them safely.

'Mahmood has been convicted by a jury and today has been sentenced appropriately for his crime. I hope today's outcome enables his victim to move forward with her life.

'The Police and CPS will robustly investigate and prosecute offenders and bring them before the courts for punishment.'

Detective Inspector Steve Keating, from Hertfordshire Constabulary's Sexual Offence Investigation Team, said: 'The ten year sentence reflects the seriousness of this offence. As a taxi driver, Mahmood was in a position of trust - trust that he breached in the most awful way.

'This case has been particularly traumatic and very stressful for the victim - who has been incredibly brave in the lead up and throughout this court case. We hope that she will now be able to put this behind her and move forward with her life.

'The case does date back to October 2009 and we are appealing to anyone who may feel they may have also been a victim of assault by this man. If you think you may have information, please get in touch by calling 0845 33 00 222. All calls will be treated with the strictest confidence.'

Mahmood was found guilty at Luton Crown Court, following a seven-day trial.