Rioter jailed for 27 months - Waltham Cross


Enfield man Bobby Nethercote, who got caught up in last year's rioting in Waltham Cross, has been jailed for 27 months.

Nethercote, who was 21 at the time, went into two jewellers shops that had been broken into by mobs and grabbed rings. But he made little effort to cover his face during the incidents and when a CCTV picture of him was shown as part of a campaign to identify rioters, he gave himself up to police.

At St Albans Crown Court on Wednesday, 11 April 2012, Nethercote, now 22, of Glenrock Road, Enfield, pleaded guilty to two offences of burglary.

Judge Stephen Gullick hearing the case was told  that Nethercote had been with a group of friends when they went to Waltham Cross on the evening of 07 August last year.

They were not looking for trouble, but it was at the height of last year's summer riots and, on arriving in the centre of the town, found mobs on the street who were breaking into shops and businesses.

One such shop to be broken into that night was a jewellers in the High street called Ozcam. A mob had forced open the shutters and smashed their way inside to grab jewellery. Nethercote had joined them helping himself to a handful of rings before leaving.

From there he went to another jewellers shop called Vallens where the mob were also helping themselves to goods, having broken in.

The court was told that £15,000 worth of goods had been taken from Ozcam and, with the damage to the shop, the total loss to the owners was around £20,000. It was accepted however that Nethercote had taken just a small proportion of the goods stolen and had played no part in the break in.

From Vallens, around £2,000 worth of stock had been taken.

Avnita Bhudia defending said following Nethercote's involvement that night he had disposed of the rings he had taken and didn't make any financial gain. She said he was now the father of a one year old son and in a stable relationship with his girlfriend. In addition she said he helped care for his elderly grandfather.

Jailing him for 27 months the judge said the jewellers shops had been targeted that night because they contained "easily transportable goods of an anticipated high value."

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.