Railway station robbers jailed - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire


Two dangerous thugs, who terrorised lone young men at railway stations to rob them of mobile phones and wallets have today, Wednesday, 11 September 2013, been jailed.

One victim was punched so hard his cheek bone was fractured, and another, who was assaulted in a Cambridge street was hit on the back of the head with an iron bar.

One of the defendants, Glen Myall, 21, was out on licence at the time from a sentence for attempted robbery.

Myall, from Rothbury Court, Bedford, and Christopher Hull, 21 of no fixed address, appeared in custody at Luton Crown Court.

Myall pleaded guilty to robbery, attempted robbery, and attempted theft. Hull pleaded guilty to two charges of robbery, one attempted robbery, and one of inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH).

Claudette Elliott prosecuting for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the first victim was a 16-year-old, who was waiting for a train at Sandy railway station on 01 February this year.

He was on his own at about 5 pm when he was approached by the pair. Myall got him in a head lock and they tried to get his mobile phone. Hull then hit him in the face several times and he was threatened that he would be stabbed. He handed over his phone was was followed on to the train, where he was further threatened and his gloves were taken.

The victim said he was very cautious now about travelling on trains, which he needed to, to get to college.

About eight hours later the pair picked on an 18-year-old waiting at Hitchin railway station shortly before 1 am.

The pair involved him in conversation and then demanded his phone and money. He was struck in the face by Hull and later discovered his cheek bone was fractured and he had an operation to realign it, but suffered considerable discomfort while it healed.

He said he was also wary about other passengers and the crime had affected all his family.

The third victim was a student in Cambridge, who jogged to a convenience store in Perse Way on 10 February before it closed at 10 pm.

Myall was inside the shop shouting at staff and threatening to jump over the counter. The victim bought some cigarettes and sweets, but was distressed by what he had seen and tried to delay leaving the shop. But when he did he was approached and the cigarettes were snatched. Myall then walked away, but Hull produced an iron bar and struck him on the back of the head, said the prosecutor. He could feel blood running from the wound and called his family for help.

Paul Orton for Hull said his client had made full admissions early on and asked he receive credit.

Jason Cross for Myall said his client had not been involved in the same level of violence as his co defendant.

The court heard Myall had had had a difficult childhood and had been in 20 different children's homes and had thirty foster carers.

Passing sentence Judge David Farrell QC told the pair: "You are both violent individuals. You have committed offences of violence in order to steal and have done so on previous occasions."

He jailed Hull for six years telling him he would serve four years before being released. Myall was jailed for four years and eight months and told he too would have to serve two thirds of the sentence before being released.

Please note - all court copies are provided by South Beds News Agency, who retain the copyright for all articles published.